1/48 A-4Q ARMADA Argentina from a 1/48 ESCI A-4E

Started by Dan DeSilva · 7 · 2 years ago · 1/48 A-4Q, 1/48 ESCI A-4 conversion, Argentina, Falklands
  • Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi all,

I remember the time of the Falklands War very well during my teenage years, because of the fact that the RAF used Bermuda as a rest stop on the way down south! I got to see Victor and VC-10 tankers transit through Bermuda (see pic).

I reworked an ESCI 1/48 A-4E into a Falklands War Armada A-4Q. The first step was to correct the rear fuselage of the ESCI A-4E kit- they developed the exhaust area into a weird ogival cross-section, which I have never seen on any scooter! Weirdly, the same odd shape is also found on the 1/32 Hasegawa A-4 kit. Thankfully, Hasegawa got the 1/48 A-4 series right! I had bought a ton of ESCI scooters years ago, because I thought they were better than the Monogram A-4 kits, and they were inexpensive. Later, when photographing museum examples, and looking at my reference books/articles on the scooter, I noticed the issue with the exhaust!

Unfortunately, I didn't photograph the steps in removing the incorrect ESCI exhaust area. I have already replaced the exhaust in the picture provided with casts of the Hasegawa parts, as well as the recontouring of the intake area with Hasegawa intake parts already added as well.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great entry, Dan @danfrombermuda!
    I like a lot the correction you made on the exhaust.
    Looking forward to it!
    P.S. Nice Victor pic: I have a Victor entry (idling for a while now) at this GB.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, I will be posting a few more images I should have at the start of this.

• Profile Photo

My apologies- I should have posted these images first. I have always wanted to post to a group on imodeler, and I had the A-4Q built before I realized I could take advantage of the group! However, I still have an A-4P and Argentine A-4C ready to start. Below, I have posted the comparison of the ESCI rear fuselage (left) and the Hasegawa rear fuselage (right). It would appear that ESCI got the depth right (top to bottom dimensions), but not the right width. I added a picture of my ESCI A-4E conversion to early A-4 setup. I copied the intake fan assembly from the Hasegawa kit- (it fits the ESCI fuselage), the rear fuselage halves around the exhaust, the A/B/C intake shrouds and ramps (Hobbycraft got that ABSOLUTELY wrong!), and you can see I have made a widening part for the fuselage that fits between the trailing edge of the wing and the panel line just aft of the speed brakes. There is also a copy of the Hasegawa "e" exhaust- the A-4Q has a standard length (later) exhaust- it never had the short exhaust as on the A/B airframes in USN/USMC service. Last but not least a KMC resin A-4B nose conversion- designed for the Monogram kit, but can be used on the ESCI kit. I did not notice the scribed panels on the nose do not match up with an actual A/B nose, but it still looked ok in the end. I have included a picture of the correct shaped fairing on the fuselage spine- using photos of actual A-4Q's, I modified the fairing that comes with the Hasegawa Argentine A-4C/Q kit. I made a copy of that to use on my A-4P build.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those are some wonderful, very informative pics, my friend @danfrombermuda!
    Yep, once you see how the real thing looks, it is difficult to accept some kits inaccuracies...
    The fairing looks great!

• Profile Photo

okay- some shots of how I had to modify the KMC A-4B nose to fit the ESCI fuselage, I had to cut it in half and wedge the bottom half. The nose was made to fit the Monogram kit so just a little work to make it fit the ESCI nose.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice craftmanship, @danfrombermuda!