1/35 Garford-Putilov Armoured Car - Copperstate Models

Started by George R Blair Jr · 153 · 1 week ago · 1/35, armoured car, Copperstate Models, Garford-Putilov Armoured Car, russian, ww1
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I hate to admit that I am a real fan of WW1 armoured (armored) car. They look like dinosaurs compared to their WW2 cousins, but you can clearly see how they fit into the lineage of the later armoured cars. This particular specimen was created by slapping armour onto the chassis of a Garford Lorry (truck) from England. They were mainly used by the Russian Army, but some of them saw action after the Communist Revolution in 1917. Remember that the Russians were allies with Britain, France, and the United States in WW1, so this will be an interesting project of one of our former allies.

This will be a fun build, but I won't be able to get around to it until I get a little farther in my current projects. I hope to create a diorama with this beast, along with a couple of figures, so off I go again into uncharted territory. Looking forward to all of the great builds here.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Fantastic entry, my friend @gblair! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Great choice,George!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Paul (@yellow10). I haven't built anything in the armor world for quite a while, should be fun.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

That's a wonderful choice, George @gblair
    Never have seen this armoured car before, looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I really like the WW1 armoured cars. A lot of them were simply armour added to an existing chassis from a truck or a tractor or a car. Cool stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Always wondered how this Copperstate kit would build up so I am really looking forward to following your progress. Perfect choice, George @gblair.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Eric (@eb801). I hope to finish the ship conversion I am working on and get to this cool armoured car in the next couple of weeks. I am also interested to see how this cool kit builds.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Great choice, George. Those Copperstate armored car kits look interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Welcome to our ever growing group ! I have not seen one of these built up before, and will be watching as it progresses. It does appear as if we have very similar tastes in models. Lately these Copper State kits have been calling out to me. But I have been looking at their Cauldron. It looks like a rigging nightmare though, so I settled for a 1/32 Roden DH-2 in it's place to "test the water".

They seem to have some superb Nieuport kits, and a few of them may someday end up in the stash or better yet done and in the display case. I recently picked up a 1/35 scale Meng British Male Mk-V tank. It would look right at home next to yours.

Again I welcome you aboard, and thank you for your continued support.

Your the best !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Hi, John (@j-healy) and Louis (@lgardner). I think armored cars are cool, especially those from WW1. It seems like there have been a bunch released in the last few years. I think Copperstate Models used to be based in Arizona, but have been sold and now are located somewhere in Europe. The kit looks really nice in the box. I will post pictures when I jump into the kit. I want to finish this ship conversion I am doing, but it seems to be taking forever.

• Profile Photo

It is time to get started. I took a look at the kit parts, instructions, and decals today. Everything looks very well done. I especially like the instructions and the separate painting guide. Paint schemes are pretty simple. To paraphrase Henry Ford, you can paint the model in any color as long as it is green.

I also got two figures from CSM to use in a diorama, and both of them look really nice. I hope to get some time to get started tomorrow, and I still need to get a good history for this armoured car.

Cheers.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Looks to be an excellent kit, my friend @gblair! The figures look great, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

The kit looks wonderful indeed, George @gblair
    Very nice instruction booklet as well.

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). It has been a long time since I build anything in the armor family, or built a diorama. Should be fun.