1:32nd scale Albatros D.V

Started by Mike Norris · 47 · 2 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month ago:

Hi all,
    Just a quick update as I work on the Phonix D.I as well.
    The fuselage top green has been applied.
    This was ‘Hataka’ (Orange line) Dark Moss Green (C246) with Light Green (C020) to a ratio of 50/50%.
    Thinned with ’Mr. Colour’ Levelling Thinners 400 by arbout 10%.
    Now onto the plywood covering,

Mike

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Coming along nicely, Mike (@sandbagger). I have never tried Hataka Orange Line before, but it looks like it goes on very smoothly. If I recall correctly, this is their lacquer line?

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 1 month ago:

Hi George
    Yes it's their lacquer line.
    Sprays OK with good coverage,

Mike

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

This Hataka paint looks to be working quite nice, Mike @sandbagger
    Very nice result.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 1 month ago:

This is an excellent kit and an equally great build! I sadly missed the Wingnut Wings kits, never bought one, and now they are history (or sold as rarity on auction websites for insanely elevated prices).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Mike Norris (@sandbagger)
    I'm not too familiar with all of the intricacies of these early birds. So I am learning a lot from your research work. Like you I try to make my builds as accurate as I can. Naturally, once I finish a build, then someone comes out with a newly discovered photo or a document that shows I still did it wrong... 🙂

That's OK, as long as we have fun doing it.

I could not afford a WNW kit at today's inflated prices. I consider myself to be fortunate that I have the ones I do. I bought them before they closed shop.

I do like how the Hataka Orange line looks once sprayed. It is very smooth and looks great. The details on your model look incredible. Very impressive.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Great painting, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Coming together so well @sandbagger Mike. The interior looks really beautiful - sad to button it up, but the photos will always be a record of the detail and painting! Outstanding!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Excellent progress on this, Mike.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Your website is very, very impressive,Mike @sandbagger. Hard to believe you found the time to create all those beautiful WWI flying gems. I’m going to use your wood painting techniques as soon as my hand heals from a recent injury.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Norris said 3 days, 1 hour ago:

Hi all,
    Progress on the Albatros.
    Fuselage painted and plywood effect by Raw Sienna oil paint over Dark Yellow base coat.
    Decals from the 'Pheon' set.
    Kit circular access panels and cooling louvres removed and slots made under louvers.
    Replacement were from 'Proper Plane.
    'Aviattic' decals used for flying surfaces and on a mid-grey base coat (to slightly darken the decal colours).
    Wing decals are from the 'Wingnut Wings' decal sheet.
    All clear gloss coated to protect painted surfaces and decals from future handling, but will be semi-matte for final finish,

Mike

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 days, 21 hours ago:

Paint looks really nice, Mike @sandbagger. All the different colors on the fuselage and wings will look great assembled.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 days, 21 hours ago:

This looks great. I’m a fan of Jasta 21b schemes and a/c fitted with the headrest.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 days, 18 hours ago:

Painting looks great, my friend @sandbagger!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 days, 15 hours ago:

That paint work is of a very high standard, excellent.