‘Mephisto’ A7V Krupp 1/35 Meng

Started by Paul Barber · 7 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I have been waiting a while to find a reason to build this tank. Mephisto is referred to as ‘the rarest tank in the world’ here in Queensland, as there is only a single example remaining of the 20 or so manufactured. Mephisto was shipped to Australia in 1919 as a trophy, after its recovery having been stuck in a battlefield crater in Villers-Bretonneux in 1918. I am lucky enough from time to time to see it in the QLD Museum in Brisbane (an hour or so from my home).

As well as my own photos, I have picked up an outstanding reference: a 360 page ‘discovery guide’ from the Museum.

I’ll be using brass barrels for the machine guns and decals by Custom Hobby to recreate Mephisto.

By way of a start I have been putting together track parts and wheels.

Finally, here are some of the many snaps I’ve taken of Mephisto, in the flesh!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

That's an impressive piece of armor, Paul @yellow10
    It must be amazing to see this vehicle in real life.
    Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb - yes it’s something to see. I’ll get some more snaps next time I’m in Brisbane! Hope to do it some justice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Paul Barber (@yellow10)
    As usual, you are starting off with a magnificent entry into this build. The pictures you have posted are incredible, and the kit looks to be a very nice one. Having the book to use as a reference is another bonus.

You are extremely fortunate to have had access to the real thing. That will make the build even better...

I'm looking forward to watch this one as it progresses. You always do a wonderful job with anything you build.

It's getting harder not to drag out the newly acquired 1/35 Meng British Male Mk V now. I have to finish up some others before that will happen.

Sign me up for watching ! Thanks again .

• Profile Photo

Cheers @lgardner. I’m looking forward to that Male Mk V!

I’ve got so many plans for this GB. Just need to focus on the current two!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month, 1 week ago:

That’s an interesting vehicle, Paul. Looking forward to seeing it take shape.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 1 week ago:

For just a second, I thought that red devil character was running to the beach with a short board. Then I realized...

What a beast, Paul.