Adventures in 3D Resin Printing

Started by George R Blair Jr · 16 · 8 months ago · 3D printing
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I have been interested in 3D resin printing for a long time, especially when you see the type of resin printed parts that are coming from the manufacturers now. But I heard that there was a steep learning curve, so I waffled for a long time about buying a 3D printer. My wife and daughter took the decision out of my hands when they gave me a joint Christmas present that was a 3D resin printer, along with a combination washing and curing station. So, I jumped into 3D printing with both feet.

There is a learning curve that goes with these machines, but it isn't nearly as steep as I thought. There is software that comes with the machines that basically walks you through the process of taking an .stl (3D Print File), getting it ready to print, positioning it on your machine, checking it for problems, slicing it (the print prints your model in tiny horizontal slices), and then sends it to your printer via WiFi. The biggest problem is fine-tuning the setting for your print. There are about 8 settings that you make for each print, and these settings determine the success of your print. I think of these settings like using a manual SLR camera. The camera has a number of settings that if correctly set will give you a good photo, the wrong settings give you a headache. The instructions that come with the printer consist a single page of information on how to set up your machine, so I have spent some quality time on YouTube figuring out how to "dial in" the settings. I had also tried to find some books on Amazon that might help, but 99% of the books they have on 3D printing deal only with filament printing, not liquid resin printing. The most important setting is the exposure, or basically how long your resin layer is exposed to the magic light that prints the layer. I think I finally have the exposure set, and it should work well as long as I don't change the brand/type of resin I am using.

These printers are a lot of fun and I have spent a lot of time in the last month using mine. There are literally thousands of print files for 3D printing, many are free and some cost money. I have printed a lot of stuff in the last month or two, and I only purchased three of the files, a bust of Superman, a bust of Indiana Jones, and a bust of Frodo Baggins (yes, I am a nerd). Although you can find files that are quite pricey, these three files only cost me $1.20 each. There are several websites that deal exclusively with 3D print files, and you can also find them on Etsy. I have not had much luck finding things that I can use for my models, but I have found thousands of things I can use for my N Scale train layout. My latest fun project was a model of the city from Stargate Atlantis, that unfortunately was much larger than I can print on my machine. It was free and it is very detailed and it was fun to paint. I had to shrink the model to a size I could print, which can cause some problems, but it worked well. Some of the antennas in the model were the size of a human hair, or less, and printed fine on my machine.

My latest endeavor is using a free program called Tinkercad to design and print my own stuff. I just had surgery on my stomach, which has sidelined me from lifting anything or walking up stairs (to my hobby room). I hope to be cleared for stairs this week, but the doctor said no lifting for several weeks. So I have had a lot of time to play with designed stuff. So far, all I have designed and printed were some bridges supports for my train layout.

That's about it for an overview. I encourage you to give this a try if you are interested at all in 3D printing. The price of the printers has come down significantly, so I think the basic printers are well within the mean of most of us.

9 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks for this wonderful info, my friend @gblair! Looks like 3D printing has come down to logical costs and offers a million of opportunities!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks for sharing, George @gblair, makes me kind of jealous.
    This resin printing is incredibly detailed. When looking at the joy you have with it and what this printer can achieve, I might add it to my next Chirstmas list.

• Profile Photo

These printers are a lot of fun, John (@johnb). 3D printing can be very inexpensive. I would do some investigating and make sure it is something you would use before you jump down the rabbit hole. I haven't found many 3D print files that I can use in my modeling, but there is a bunch for my model railroad. If I can get good enough designing my own model parts and printing them, then the possibilities are endless for models.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Very interesting, @gblair, but at my age I don’t really want to invest a load of money into something that may only get a relatively brief usage. I have no-one to pass it on to. I sincerely hope your recent medical attention is successful and enables you to enjoy life to the full again. I hate getting old.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George (@chinesegeorge). You are right. Getting old sucks. My son-in-law tells me that getting old isn't for the weak. I have been lucky not to have had any surgery before now, and I am 72. I had some cancer surgery on my ear a couple of decades ago, but that was just a local anesthetic. My wife and I walk a couple of miles every day, and I still do some exercise, as well as Tai Chi.

I suspect you could get a decent 3D printer for less than $300, and most of the files I am using I find for free on the internet. The only real expense after you get the printer is buying the resin. I have heard that there are model clubs and co-ops that are buying printers for their members to use, so that might be something you could find. Who knows, there may be a bunch of files out there for model motorcycles.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair sorry i’m late to this thread, my usb and bought me a 3D printer for my Birthday a few weeks back but being such a tiny place I am tempted o send it back it’s an Anycube Kobra Max. I’m fairly computer literate but it’s a;lll open and susceptible to dust which there is a lot of here w 2 Dogs a parrot and a husband ;). Reading this I may change my mind. This house is tiny (700 square feet of livable space). The garage is out of the question as the temp changes and humidity would kill it. I like the ones you have that is enclosed. The printer will take up about 2 and a half cubic feet…..im in a conundrum :). Your work is cool!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): Unfortunately, using a 3D printer takes more space than just the footprint of the printer. Along with the printer, you also need to be able to wash and cure the things you make. I have a combination washer and cure station that takes up the same amount of space at the printer. This is also based on using water washable resin. If you use non-water washable resin, you will need to clean and rinse the part in alcohol. I prefer water washable resin simply because I don't want to mess around with a bunch of alcohol that needs to be stored. You also need a little room to store your bottles of extra resin. Once the part is printed, you will need some flat space to remove the part from the build plate, cut away the supports, clean the part, and so on. This doesn't need to be dedicated space, so you could use a counter top, shelf top, or any other accessible place.

3D printing is fun, but it does require a lot of experimenting to find the correct settings, along with a lot of failed prints while you figure out how things work. I don't think your space is insoluble, but you will need more space than just the printer. I am having a lot of fun with mine and have gotten where I can design and print simple items for my model trains. I have also printed some figures, which are also fun.

You might send a PM to Brian (@brithebuilder), as he a real pro at 3D printing and can probably give you some better advice than I can. Good luck!

• Profile Photo

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen):

I thought it might help your decision if you saw some of the stuff I was printing. I have had the printer since last Christmas, so this will show you the sort of things you will be able to do after just a few months. I didn't know anything at all about 3D printing, so I was starting from zero. I print mostly stuff for my hobbies, but I have also designed and printed some more practical things, such as supports for some of my storage boxes. The learning curve for 3D printing is steep, but it isn't anything that can't be done for someone who builds motorcycles as well as you do.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

I'm impressed by that lighthouse rail, George @gblair
    Was it printed without the help of supporting struts.
    The figure is beautiful as well.

• Profile Photo

@gblair I have spoke w Brian :). He says the items printed cures with UV. And mine uses spools of “filament” about 7 inches in diameter and 2 inches thick. I really like it but i just dont see where it will work for me….here is the one I got as you can see it’s wide open as it is I work on models on the kitchen table. The printer will take all that space and I cant simply put it away….so Daly I think it has to go back

<iframe title="Anycubic Kobra Max 3D Printer, Large 3D Printer with Auto Leveling Pre-Installed, Stronger Construction and Higher Precision, Filament Run-Out Detection Easy to Use, Big Size 17.7" x 15.7" x 15.7"" type="text/html" width="500" height="550" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen style="max-width:100%" src="https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_pEHjoQ2flciQ06&asin=B09QGTYW3R&tag=kpembed-20"&gt;

• Profile Photo

Hi, John (@johnb): It was printed without any supports. I was surprised that it worked. I previously printed the railings with supports on each railing and found it was impossible to clean up the attachment points without breaking the handrails. I have printed the railings 3 times. The first two with supports. On the first one, I cured it before removing the supports. Curing hardens the resin, but the handrails proved too brittle to clean up wiithout breaking. On the second one, I tried removing the supports before curing. The supports were easier to remove from the resin in its softer, uncured state, but it still left little nubs of resin that were impossible to clean without breaking. The third one is in the photo above. This print takes very little resin to do, so I wondered if it would print without supports. Unsupported horizontal surfaces probably shouldn't have printed, but I think it was so small that they couldn't sag and break. I will send a photo of the completed lighthouse when done.

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): You have a filament printer, which tends to be larger than mine, which prints using liquid resin rather than filament. Mine is probably half the size of yours. I understand your space dilemma now. I don't know much about filament printers, but I understand there a lot more settings that are required for each print. I am glad that I started with a liquid resin printer because I think their learning curve isn't quite as steep as a filament printer.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Really impressive, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten): I have a lot of fun with my 3D printer, but the printer and I are still a work in progress. Whenever I change what I am printing, it often requires new settings to make a successful print. I don't have enough experience to anticipate what the settings need to be, so there is period of experimentation and failed prints before I figure out what the setting need to be. I still hope to learn how to design my own stuff so that I can make new parts for my models. Still a long way from that point.

• Profile Photo

@gblair I didn't mean to sound negative, I really like it its just not practical for my situation ….unless. I take it to the fire station and set it up there but there are to many fingers over there if you follow me 🙂