Douglas B-26K Counter Invader in 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 125 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Well, I had decided I wasn't going to see the Vector Resins B-26K nose I ordered from an eBay dealer in Russia, given all the current events, but it showed up today in the mail. A day after I got the last one in North America from Linden Hill Imports.

So I have two resin noses and one ICM B-26K kit.

First person who says they want it can have it for $20, postage included. Lower 48 only.

Let me know via PM

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 9 months ago:

With the Monogram B-26B finished, now I have space to get started on the ICM "K". The new or the current work shop is the 2nd bedroom which becomes a dedicated hobby room. However the work space is not as spacious as it was at the old place. So that will limit the number of large builds like medium sized bombers in 48th scale. Even a B-24 in 72nd scale is large enough to get things crowded. Armor don't take much space but can get spread out a bit.

Now back to the Counter Invader. 1st my usual process of first painting the interior components of the kit prior to assembly. Not the normal Interior Green or Grey. (I didn't know this at the when building the K back in 92. which was painted Interior Green) . More recent interior images of the "K" have since emerged over the years, that confirms the black crew compartments, bomb bays. The wheel wells are still Interior Green.
    Using Tamiya Nato Black and started on the bulkheads.

The crew compartment forward bulkhead also serves as the rear bomb bay wall and rear wing spar. Also the center
    bomb bay wall also have the forward wing spars.

The cockpit and rear compartment is also painted Nato Black.

The Flight deck, bomb bay roof panel and bomb bay forward wall is also painted.

Also the rear side compartment reinforcement rails. Also making sure you get both sides of the bulkheads.

The black will be hard to see what's inside once its all assembled with the glass installed. But some creative interior weathering I will try can enhance and make things pop hopefully.

Once all the Nato Black is airbrushed. Next is to use Tamiya Satin Black (semi gloss) is used for the avionic boxes, radios and sets and the props.

Also the bomb bay side walls and doors are painted Black.

The console will be enhanced with the Eduards PE which just arrived. The cockpit floor still lacks the details, but it is correct for the K and will also be enhanced to give it some character.

Next up some actual assembly with step 1,

stay tuned More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

That's some nice, solid progress, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Great preperations done, Chuck @uscusn
    Looking forward to see how you get these parts a bit more accented.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, it's so good to really at least get something started with some painting.
    That makes two of us John, hopefully some enhancements will make them more viewable once it starts getting together.

• Profile Photo

Unlike the B-26C which starts normally with the cockpit, the "K" has me start with the bomb bay and the ordnance, why not!

Bomb racks and the WWII era 500Lb GP's. will sack those and instead place M117 750 pounders instead but would be staggered as they are much larger. These are from the Hasegawa bomb set #1.

The LH side fuselage is removed before installing the bomb racks.

The 2 LH bomb racks have LH side track with the angle facing the rear of the bomb bay.

Next is to work the LH side of the fuselage and start work on the bulkheads working from the rear to the front.

The rear bulkhead is already pre painted and is installed into the LH fuselage half, the RH fuselage is then temporarily fixed to keep alignment.

I will be using Eduards PE set to enhance the interior. First is to clean up and remove some details on the LH side cockpit panel.

Then the PE panel is over layed along the LH side cockpit wall. Then a smaller electronics panel is then attached.

After attaching a PE panel on the LH rear rail. It is next to be installed. The bomb rack are also painted.

Next more ordy to assemble and more interior work

More to follow!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Very nice progress, Chuck @uscusn
    The PE parts do add a lot more detail.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Wonderful progress, my friend @uscusn!
    Great use of PE!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks John & Spiros, yes it will enhance a rather dark interior.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Next is to work on the forward bulkhead of the operators compartment.

I decided to remove the service door that give access to the bomb bay. Using this image as a reference.

Scoring around the moulded door opening with a knife, probably using a dremel may have been more efficient and faster to do the job. But after an hour or so the door is removed.

Once the door is removed, sanding around the opening to even out the edges

Now that the task of opening up the bulkhead is completed, next to assemble the radio, radar and defensive equipment sets.

Several boxes will be assembled and then placed on a shelf.

Next the PE faces are attached.

Now to attach the completed bulkhead to the LH side of the fuselage, again taping the RH side fuselage half to set alignment.

Next up is work on the bomb bay, wing spars and bulkheads.

More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice working space for the operator, Chuck @uscusn
    The extra work on removing the door is well worth it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @uscusn! Great interior!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks John, this version, seems to be going together a bit easier than the first ICM Invader.

Thanks Spiros, plugging right along.

Now to finally a bit of an update on the B-26K.

Still working on the interior, with the rear compartment assembled, now to add some PE to enhance a decent interior that ICM already provides.

The rear bomb bay bulkhead also serves as the rear wing spars that slips through the rear slots of the fuselage.

While the cement sets on the bulkhead, a PE shelf is attached to the rear wall of the observers compartment.

Once that sets, next is the forward bulkhead which contains the forward wing spare and serves as the rear wall of the cockpit, and front wall to the bomb bay.

Before attaching, a but of PE upgrades are attached, sanding off some details and some cutting before attaching the PE.

The 2 PE bits are attached and put aside to set.

Once the PE is set, paint dry, the bulkhead is then attached to the LH fuselage, with the RH fuselage temporarily attached to set alignment.

Next up are to install the LH and RH nose gear bay side walls and doors on each side of the front of the fuselage. Similar in approach in how Monogram assembles this part of the build process.

The fit is good here, and basing my experience building the B-26C, this time a bit better in having this part of the build align better than the first time.

Next up, start on the cockpit.

More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great progress here, my friend @uscusn! Looking forward to the cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Well, now that you're back at it that leaves me with few excuses. Mine keeps looking at me mournfully from the storage shelf.