Douglas B-26K Counter Invader in 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 130 · 4 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

Word of caution, B-26Ks with black undersides got black wheel wells and doors. White undersides got them painted white. 'Special Kay' though does have the wheel wells medium green.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Some really great progress, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 9 months ago:

Great work so far Chuck @uscusn - I didn't know you had a WIP going on this kit so I I'm glad I stumbled across it this morning. Looks like you've made some really solid progress- the Vector nose looks great and I like the addition of the wheels.

I'm working on the same kit and am just a little bit farther along but not by much. I'm wondering at this stage what your impressions of this kit are? I have to say that for being a new-tool kit I am a bit disappointed my self. The detail is great but fit and alignment issues are pesky- I'm finding that it is not exactly a builder-friendly kit in my opinion. I'm interested to know what you think.

• Profile Photo

Chuck and David @dbutlr

Here are the R2D B-26K control columns and the 3D printed tip tanks. Got a seam where the tank halves join to fix. Also did a black wash on the unpainted parts to highlight all the details.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

This is very nice progress, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 months ago:

Thanks Dave O., though using the B-26K at Pima, which I have always used as my go to reference guide has the main wheel and nose bays and doors in Interior Green. This is an original On Mark build Counter Invader. The bomb bay is black as well as the inside of the doors.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, getting closer to the finish, engines next.

• Profile Photo

David B, I started working on her about a year and 1/2 ago around Feb 2022. I have several builds going as well as participating in several group builds, only work on projects on the weekends. Besides complicated builds, jets, muli engine aircraft in the is scale takes for me a long time. Single engine fighters, I can get those done rather quickly (Hase, Tamiya for example. Yes your correct it is not a slam dunk build. The interior is no issue the cockpit is well detailed just from what is provided, just add to enhance it. Once you get the fuselage together then the challenges come about, the upper panel needs work, as well as the rear lower insert to blend it in, the wings go tother fine as well as the separate flying surfaces, the challenge is with the nacelles, one is ok the other side needs again seam work, I find the Monogram B-26 kits to be the same in assembling. Credit to ICM for correcting some issues from their earlier kits and fixing some of them on the "K". Like the observer window on the rear fuselage, The wing panels are more accurate compared to random panel lines on the regular wings, if you look you may notice that as they are in the kit.

The engines are nice, the first time around it was a learning experience, this time around easy to deal with. Love the plate provided to assemble the exhaust system. Nice touch. The plastic is a bit soft. The landing gear so far is sturdy on the B-26C I completed earlier in the year.

But it does seem a bit unstable when you joustle it a bit. Unlike the Monogram B-26 that feels solid. With the weigh it is heavy. Let see how long its shelf life will be like over the years. I may just get a Scale Master metal landing gear set for it.

Like you sometimes we may expect too much in these new mould kits will fit better, but no, most have you wonder when some parts just don't want to fit. The Modelsvit Twin Mustang is another that you have to take your time around the wing in order to get the twin fuselages to fit correctly read the reviews. Just happy that we have this series of A/B-26 series that ICM has produced along with their Ju-88 series and the upcoming B-26B Marauder and Japanese Sally looking forward to those, despite the imperfections they most likey will have, nothing is perfect.

• Profile Photo

David O, the columns I didn't use though I did consider them, but being an enclosed cockpit and not willing to cut open the canopy to display the hatch open. I decided to go with the kit columns. The drop tanks are ok from the kit, but those resin tanks do look good. Thanks for sharing them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, always appreciate the encouragement

• Profile Photo

Chuck @uscusn, I can understand your reasoning with the control columns. Compared to the rest of the fixes Eduard and Quinta provide for a cockpit that are more visible under such large clear, at least ICM provided the two control columns.

I went with interior green for my B-26K wheel wells to match 'Special Kay' and provide some visual contrast to the black fuselage bottom. The tip tanks are a definite step up from the kit ones and they look to slot perfectly into the wings from my test fitting.

Even with two Monogram B-26 Marauders in the un-built stash I am also looking forward to the ICM release to see what they do.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Too long since working on the "K". I have everything now to finish,wheels, props.

David, I now realized that the canopy is crystal clear and you can very well see the columns through the glass quite clearly so it would have been a great upgrade to pursue. I also went with interior green in the wheel bays as well. I used the kit tanks. Though I could have used the Paragon resin tanks which I saved when someone mishandled my original B-26K build and dropped it. I salvaged all the resin bits for future use. That was this time. Oh well.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

To catch up last step was having to assemble the engines, the nacelles, flaps,. ailerons and the drop tanks. Next up is to work on the fuselage and start with the top insert panel.

This is correct for the "K" as the upper turret is plugged off and various antennas will be attached later on as the build progresses.

Similar to the B-26B variant, the fit needs some work. The ICM kit also has a step that should be located at the contact point where the insert plug meets the foward fuselage section. This is missing.

Next is the lower fuselage insert.

The fit here is ok, some clean up to fill in the seams. Nothing to fret about.

The airframe is basically finished now to do some clean up around the seams.

Next to assemble and install the engines.

More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Considering how knee deep I went on my Counter Invader, never noticed that step. Guess a bit of strip styrene will fix that on next one.

Paragon set? Nice. Yeah the spare parts box offers up the parts you need after you need them.

You are making real good progress.