N. American F-100D Super Sabre, ESCI 1/72nd USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 37 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 months ago:

Getting back to the F-100 decal time. This was a set of Esci decal set of a series of F-100's that were quite old and did not want to work at all. So I at least applied the national markings and corresponding stencils. Then shelved it for awhile.

Using decals from a Microscale sheet for the stencils and airframe markings. After a week of airbrushing the Future clear coat. Time to start the decal process.

Then while looking for some items for other projects, I find a beautiful set of F-100 decals from Furball which had a more detailed set of the shark mouth marking scheme I wanted to use. Set #7202 worked very well.

Despite spending a few hours applying the stencils prior to picking up this set, it took a couple of weekends to apply them all. Geez I thought the F-4 was stencil intensive. And at 72nd scale.

The decals were flawless. Each marking slid off the backing and were easy to adjust into place without sticking or tearing. Just took foreverrrrr!

With the decal process completed, another clear coat was applied to seal them. Then the masks are removed from the canopy.

Next to get her on her feet with the landing gear.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month, 1 week ago:

This session will start with the final details under the fuselage.

Starting with the dive brake and retraction actuators. They are installed with the dive brake in the deployed position.

Next that main gear and doors.

The strut and wheel are assembled.

Next the strut is installed in place in the wheel bay. Doors are assembled and attached. The LH strut is next, quickly assembled and attached into the wheel bay well.

Next the nose gear.

How simple this step is in this scale yet nicely detailed. The strut and a pair of nose wheel assemblies,

The wheels are quickly attached to the strut. The retraction actuator is then attached to the strut.

The nose gear assembly is then placed into the nose gear bay.

Next the nose gear doors are attached. As well as the inner main gear doors also attached.

After a couple of hours letting the cement set. I set her on her feet.

Now that last final piece is the exhaust nozzle. Esci gives an option of open or closed afterburner. I chose the open nozzle. a mix of Burnt Iron, Gun metal and dry brushed steel to give it that well used tailpipe look.

Then attached it to the tail section, and with that she is completed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Well done, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A wonderful result, Chuck @uscusn
    Lots of details and a nice scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 weeks ago:

Nicely done Chuck, decals are so much fun !

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Very nice finish Chuck. I just tuned in and got the quick tour through your build. You’re correct ….this is a very nice kit. Love the shark mouth!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great looking F-100, Chuck (uscusn). You don't usually see F-100s in natural metal. Well done.