Sixty years Germany divided

Started by Michel Verschuere · 117 · 1 year ago · Berlin Wall, DDR, East Germany, NVA, scratch
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    Thank you for sharing the video with us. Dad told me they had M-48A2's when he was there last. Yes I agree, I do seem to have a lot of "enthusiasm". If we both had larger homes, I'm sure we would fill them up with some incredible ideas with various dioramas.

Having a 3D printer and the ability to make things identical is definitely a huge advantage, especially with a project like this. Having that tool available in your modeling arsenal is going to make this build even more epic !

Now I can't wait to see the next episode... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Today, I worked a bit more on the ventilation units. These were placed outside, diagonally according to the top view. I made a base from balsawood and then added styrene. I also made the roofs for these units. I had to make them exactly dimensionally equivalent, so that was the main challenge.

I also added the entrance door on the back side of the tower. Detailing will be for later. This week some time, I want to start with the interior. I don't think I will sheet it with styrene but rather prime it and then sand it smooth. All under control so far!

Hope you like it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Really great, my friend @michel-verschuere! This is such an amazing project. The more it progresses the more I like it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Your "history builds" are always very educational to me, @michel-verschuere. I know I will look forward to watching this and come away from the experience knowing things I didn't know before. The perfect kind of project.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @tcinla thanks for your interest my friends! Will keep you posted, every day a new step!

• Profile Photo

Michel, @michel-verschuere

This is definitely taking shape. Each time you post something on this build, it looks even better. Meanwhile I found these pictures I took several years ago of my Dad's Army uniform. This is how he was when he was discharged the last time. He was "busted" back down to the rank of Corporal again... He told me that his rank fluctuated between E-7 which is Sgt First Class and E-4 Corporal which you see here. He never wore all of his medals and ribbons. He said that he didn't want to look like a "PX" soldier. You can see his Berlin Brigade shoulder patch. He was authorized to wear either Armor or Infantry collar brass since he held both MOS. On his uniform you can see the 6th Infantry Unit crest and in this picture you can see Dad wearing his Infantry shoulder braid.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great posting @lgardner you can be very proud of him! He kept us free here in western Europe, for which we are always grateful!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Michel. @michel-verschuere

I am very proud of my Dad. Thank you for the kind comments about him.
    He was part of the 39th Special Forces Group that was part of the Berlin Brigade during his last tour. Somewhere I have a picture of him in the barracks in Berlin. I remember him telling me that they used a building that was once was used as a telephone company or something like that... Telefunken ? It has been a while... Does this make sense to you ?

• Profile Photo

Could very well be @lgardner, the old Telefunken building was in Wedding, a central part of Berlin. It was replaced by a taller building for that company in West Berlin (Ernst Reuterplatz) in the early 60-ies so maybe your dad has been based there. Looks a bit like a barracks in fact... It still exists, I passed by often on my way to Fronau. It's near Tegel airport.
    Could it be?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Telefunken_Ger%C3%A4tewerk_Schwedenstra%C3%9Fe,_Berlin.JPG

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Michel this is STUNNING and showcases your extraordinary scratchbuilding skills. I hope you would contemplate doing a section of the Berlin Wall as part of this build.

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    Thanks @lgardner and @mornem for your kind words of appreciation. I actually contemplate a section of the Berlin wall, but this is a bit big for this scale (1:35). There were less wide sections of the "Sperrzone", the area between the East and West wall that was permanently guarder in Berlin but in general, this zone was about 30-50m wide. This is about one meter in 1:35 which is a bit big. I will do my best chaps.

I just assembled what was already there. I will now commence the interior as most of the exterior is done, but for the roof railing, but that part also connects to the interior.

Here is the entrance door:

And some general shots. The roof still being detacheable.

And here some comparison shots of the real deal!

Hope you like it!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

Today I focused on the roof, I printed one more piece on my Prusa i3 3D printer and cut out the roof hatch. Also, I attached the roof gutter. To do that, I used a half round styrene profile and 0.5mm lacquered copper wire. I think it will look ok once it has been painted.

The best pictures I could find on the real roof gutter attachment were these:

I also applied putty to the interior walls, there were some gaps in between the various balsa pieces. I used blank filler because one of the next steps will be to prime the interior white befor the inner side is masked off through the windows.

Hope you like the progress so far.

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Wow, this is spectacular!
    I can see you make good use of your 3D printer, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    The roof gutter will look a modeling jewel once paintedf.
    All those added deetails are simply amazing.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I do like your progress so far Michel. The gutter is spot on as far as I can see, very nice!

• Profile Photo

@airbum @fiveten, thanks for checking in guys, will continue the build, finishing some of the interior before primering. Take care!