Sixty years Germany divided

Started by Michel Verschuere · 117 · 1 year ago · Berlin Wall, DDR, East Germany, NVA, scratch
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks @fiveten! Goodnight!

• Profile Photo

Did some minor work on the interior today, but had lack of time throughout. I want to pose a figure of an NVA (Nationale VerteidigungsArmee) in the tower and since I could not find a suitable uniform in the spares box, I decided to bash an old figurine out of an Academy Tiger I kit. This was a German Panzer Uniform (SS Black) but did not came close to the parka worn by the NVA border guards (Grenzsoldaten) worn post 1970 where the diorama is intended. Here is a view:

In used green stuff for the job as it sticks well.

I still need to add the belts (paper), I used sculpting tools and my hobby knife for the job throughout!

Hope you like.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice conversion Michel!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice bashing indeed, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    When I use figures, I do bashing very often. I remmber mofifying an 1/35 tank Commander to create an...1/32 HAF F-86 pilot, relaxingly leaning at the wing tank, teasing the technicians 🙂

• Profile Photo

Worked a bit the interior, including finishing the heating using some spares PE. A lot of paintwork as well, which I will mount tomorrow. Fine parts, mainly from a leftover Dragon kit. Getting the feeling this build takes shape and converges to a finish.

Will post in the main feed when the tower is finished and then turn to finalizing the diorama.
    Hope you like!

Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looks amazing, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    This feeling that your model is about to finish is unique!
    Gute Nacht!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years ago:

Over the last weeks, I found some time to work on the interior. Today I also glued the windows in place. I mixed white acrylic paint with PVA glue for that and thinned up to the consistency of milk. I used this to moist the joint between the window frames and the model and through capillary working, the thin glue spread underneath the window, warrantying a good set. Here are some pictures of the interior.

I also used photo references to detail the last items in the upper control roam, such as the ladder to the roof (made from styrene profiles and 0.5mm copper wire) and the control set with indicator lights for the checkpoints along the border fence guarded by these East-German "Grenzer".

I hope you like it! Working now toward the end of the tower, also worked on the Gaz 97 car offline. More on that later, folks!

Happy modeling! Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years ago:

Another of your great builds! I remember growing up in the sixties seeing the commercials on tv for Radio Free Europe the German DJ in that commercial introduces the song "Down town". Years later in the Med with the Sixth Fleet many sailors would book a tour from the base in Naples to West Berlin , I never did though i wish that I had.I preferred staying Inebriated in the "Gut".

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking amazing, my friend @michel-verschuere! Very real!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Ever closer to the finishline. The windows look like they are mounted very nicely. great stuff all in all - now that GAZ. . . . 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi all,
    Did not have a lot of time in the past few weeks but managed to finish the tower and the surrounding dio yesterday! Here are some shots I took outside today, sorry about the background in some but I did my best to make it realistic!

Main work for the last weeks was on the interior, the Command Post upstairs (Ger: Führungsstelle) is featured of a ladder to the top floor, an electric heater and a desk on an open platform. There is a telephone switchboard (East-German DDR-type) on the table as well as some paperwork and coffee...
    Needless to say, all of this was scratch with some kit-bashing involved for the stationary...

Here are some pictures of the interior! As if you were inside!

This thing is now ready for the main feed, will do a first reveal there some time this week. Still in the works are the Gaz-69A 4x4 staff car, some figures and then a couple of still secret details on the diorama.

Hope you like it as it is right now!
    Thanks to @lgardner, @airbum, @fiveten and many others to keep me going on this thread! It's not that when I'm not on imodeler for some weeks that I don't think of my friends, just too much going on in scale 1:1!

Happy modeling! Michel.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Amazing work, Michel, I've been following this WIP with great interest, can't wait to see the finished model in headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow! This is a truly spectacular job, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    Looks utterly realistic! The interior is as if we were inside!
    Your outside job is superb...well, I have no words!
    Nice pics as well, the surroundings blend nicely.
    Looking forward to the rest!

• Profile Photo

Over the last few days, I worked on the GAZ 69A, a model by Bronco.

After all the scratch building, it was good to do an OOB stunt again, although this kit is not really for the starters. My first Bronco model, incredible detail. The styrene comes in sandy yellow, there is a fairly large clear sprue with lights and windows and an interesting PE add!

When it's all done, it should look like this, more or less

Trying to finish the body in its entirety so that the pre-shading can happen with black enamel from the AB.

Here are some build pics of body and chassis, hope you like!

The engine is a kit-in-a-kit...

Happy modeling!

Michel.

• Profile Photo

This must be the most detailed car kit I ever built!

The engine is composed of at least 25 parts, including PE. A real pity it can not be seen when the marriage is through... I tried to be as precise as possible in the build, the paint job is another story.

I have added the DDR (East German) ensign decals. The kit ones were OK in fact. Here are some shots. I hope to finish by tomorrow!

Stay tuned, Michel.