1199 Panigale S

Started by Richard Mcstay · 38 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 11 months ago:

They often don't worry about such legalities here in China, you often see cars and bikes without registration plates, even though they should have them, the cops either don't care or are "persuaded" not to care! As for my Barry Sheene Yamaha, it seems to be a figment of the trader's imagination, grrrr! So, I'm waiting for the postman to bring me the Ducati. Yours looks great, of course, looking forward to seeing it posted in Headlines (we can't get Facebook in China).

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I don't think this one will be very fast Simon. The actual limited top speed of 186mph would only equate to 15.5mph in 1/12 scale!

Sorry to hear about the Yamaha George, I've been stung before with on line shopping.

The bike is almost ready for the headlines! The number plate and indicators are on the back and the head lights and head stock are attached.

The head stock didn't seem to want to line up with the screw holes at first. I gave it a little bit of persuasion and then there was a sudden snap... but everything seemed to fall perfectly into place. I probably hadn't quite glued something in the exact place it was meant to be glued, but everything seems in line.

Attaching the wing mirrors did seem a little bit difficult though. You need to hold them in place till the glue starts to set, then I used a couple of little paint pots either side of the head stock to support them in the right angle whilst the glue sets. I would recommend fixing the mirrors before attaching the head stock. In retrospect maybe a drop of super glue would be better for the mirrors.

Well that's it done. I need to take some showroom photos without the fairings so I'll leave the finished bike for the head lines. Thank you very much for all who kept up with the work in progress! It is definitely a lot more fun to get a bit of feedback and interaction during the different stages of the build. Cheers and thanks for looking!

• Profile Photo
    Ashley Edgcumbe said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Wow. The detail on this model is stunning! You've done an excellent job sir. Really like the custom decals you have applied too. Just a quick question; I noticed a select few Tamiya bike kits have the option of aftermarket forks... How much difference is there (as they are almost the price of a kit) and are they worth it.
    Beautiful work though

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks very much Ashley, much appreciated!

The panigale's are stunning bikes anyway but I love the tricolore colours.

The fork set is really good! Nothing requires painting and it looks spot on realistic. You also get the rear shock dampener and the brake disc floating pins. It also gives the model a nice weighted feel and looks really realistic!

But on the other hand, the kit is pretty impressive out the box and will paint up to a very accurate representation of the real thing using the right paints! So I would say the fork set is more of a luxury item rather than a necessity!

I see you have the ZX-12 kit. My friend George Williams has done a good work in progress on it. They are pretty iconic bikes! Not many of them for sale these days!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Awsome work, Richard ! You should always mention, thats a model, it looks like a real one 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks very much mate! I wish it was a real one!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Guess with the budged earned on the oil rig its just a question of time, that you have a motor bike like this !
    We have just widen our car park with a second BMW, hope i can soon operate both

• Profile Photo

The weather where I live is just too temperamental these days mate. I can't justify spending that much on something to sit in the garage for months on end unfortunately.
    I have however just became a member of the BMW club! Just bought a Z4 M sport with a 28i engine. I think its a good compromise for a bike being convertible and all! I might get an offroad bike though in the future.