1/24th Heller Delahaye

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 20 · 9 years ago · Delahaye
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I picked this kit from the stash for a club contest next month thinking it would be a quick build. WRONG ! I always thought that Heller's car kits would be like their aircraft I'm used to. Fairly basic with low parts count. This car model is not like that. It has a high parts count & is well engineered but requires a lot of clean up. This is one that I am religiously following in the instructions & marking off the parts & steps as I go.

The chassis is a multi piece affair the required squaring during the assembly of the rails & cross members.

Steering is functional all the way back to the gear box (not inst. yet). Heller uses the term riveting to secure the moving parts but in reality that means melting the shafts to secure the attached part. Being the glutten for punishment that I am I made nuts to do the same thing. They are out of scale but I think they look better.

Just have the basic engine set in place. The only addition I'm making to this is adding spark plug wiring.

At least the primary body is one piece, but the fenders are multi-piece.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 8 months ago:

It's a beautiful looking car, Al, you say you are adding the ignition wiring for the spark plugs, is it a straigh eight? What colour are you going to finish it in?

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Actually it's an in-line six. Tw0- tone blue for the color. I'm going tobtry to lay out one of Delahaye's art deco schemes. It will be similar to the box art.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hey Al, not really familiar with this one, but really like the chassis and steering setup. Looks like a Chrome Baby!

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looks great Al, but maybe not a "relaxing" build eh? Like Rob i'm not familiar with the vehicle but have to say it looks good.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Any more progress on this, Al?

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Actually I have made quite a bit of progress. Will try to get some pictures up today or tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 7 months ago:

That is an elegant looking car for sure, Al. Looking forward to the new pics...

• Profile Photo

Here is a current update:

Engine showing carbs & exhaust manifold

Scratch built plug wiring:

Loose wire is to coil on firewall

Interior panels (clear panels with paint) & firewall:

Frame assy. with wheels & engine sitting in place. Heller did an exceptional job on the wire wheels.:

Loose body pieces painted with Tamiya rattle cans:

A hint of the final product:

The fenders were multi-piece & needed to be built up. The built up rear fenders needed to be attached to the body. All great fun.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looking sharp, Al. Great colour combination.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Sure looks pretty Al.
    Nice paintwork.
    Looking forward to seeing it in headlines.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent work, Al, that finish you've got on the exhaust manifold is just right.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great work Al. How do you stop dust and grit settling on the freshly sprayed bodywork?

• Profile Photo

The exhaust manifold was finished with a 4-part (rust-all ?) set that Micro-Mark sells. My first attempt with it.

• Profile Photo

Gregor that was actually sprayed outside sitting on my front porch. I wipe it down with water or " plastic prep" to try to relieve the static. That seems to help more than anything. Tamiya spray dries fast enough that dust can become a non-issue. Didn't need to do it on this one but you can sand the surface between coats. This one has three fast coats & one wet coat over about 30 minutes. If you need to sand the time between coats needs to be extended.