’59 Studebaker Conversion

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 7 · 9 years ago · 1/25 Studebaker Conversion
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

The Delahaye is done, working on the H-75 so it's time to get going on my next automotive build. This is a resin conversion from a '53 Stude Speedster to a '59 Silver Hawk. The master for the Hawk was made from the plastic Speedster. The first picture shows the kits involved.

In the next pictures the pieces in white & the chrome come in the conversion kit. I have started cleaning up and test fitting the resin pieces. The hood to body is a tight fit & I'm sanding the hood to create clearance for paint. Just like any resin pieces test fitting is a must to prevent last minute surprises. For instance, a lot of resin will need to be removed from bottom side of the body to allow the frame to sit up in there where it is supposed to be.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

That looks very interesting Al, will follow this "in close formation" ! I am very tempted to do a car as well 🙂
    Don t know, there are conversations sets for automotive out, i never stop learning, good luck.

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Interesting project Al. I came close to buying a Golden Hawk when I got out of the service, but settled on a Plymouth Belvedere red and white convertible instead. Your project looks to be quite a bit of work and I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 6 months ago:

This is going to look really cool, Al, can't wait to see it finished. What colour scheme is she going to have?

• Profile Photo

Jack I think this one will be pretty straight forward. Trying to have it done by a 11/10/14 meeting here at the house.
    George even though I'm not partial to red I think that's what this one will be with a red & white interior. I wanted to do a 2-tone but for some reason all the US Hawks were solid colors. They did do 2-tones on the export cars.

• Profile Photo

Small update on this. Getting some pieces in prime. The resin center section of the floorpan has been attached & the u-shaped front section of the chassis has been boxed. Main components of the engine have been assembled. The engine gets painted silver & will have black valve covers. Once again these are the colors used on the "59. Moving along at a good pace on this one. so far not a lot to correct.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Things changed after priming the body. Quite a bit of clean-up of the body has been required. The worse area is the vent windows. The framing did not mold well at all. The frame is done & the engine block has been painted silver as per the '59 model year.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.