AMT (ERTL Blueprinter) International Pay Hauler 350

Started by Josh Patterson · 8 · 3 years ago · 350, AMT, Ertl, International, Pay Hauler
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Normally I build planes but after working on ERTL's International Transtar II I decided that I really like ERTL's Blueprinter series of models. They are seriously detailed, fit well and are a great change of pace. After seeing the big dump trucks at the calcite mine in Michigan I started looking for one and found out ERTL did the 350. Alas, it was kind of rare and the one I found on Ebay was close to $400. Fortunately patience pays off as AMT has just re-released it. Ordered mine from Amazon on the 2nd and it was here in less than 24 hours!

As a re-release I was expecting it to be the standard AMT grey but they stuck with the original yellow, white and black. Great as I normally don't prime (especially when I'm spraying gloss, I want it on smooth virgin plastic) so it will be super easy to get the yellow and cream to cover their respective sections. (A trip to the Cub Cadet dealer should get me some paint that will be near spot on! Just have to decant it for the airbrush.)

As old as this kit is the parts appear flash free and there are a bunch of them! I will need some input on the tires. They are vinyl, but two piece with a very nice fitting side wall. What type of glue to use? One neat thing about the kit is it comes with a flyer that looks what you'd pick up at an International Harvester dealer showing the statistics, standard equipment list (it states the fenders ship loose) and option list. Be nice to display that at a contest next to the model!

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That is really great news that AMT has reboxed these molds. I loved the series that Ertl did with these back in the day. Building the AMT rigs and at least 3 of the Ertl rigs was fun to do. And all by paint brushing and old fashion tube glue. Now with the skills I have now I would like to tackle a couple of these as a change of pace. Already have an AMT Chevy Titan cabover. Will check out EBay on some of the Ertl reboxes and who knows. Time to get more shelves...

• Profile Photo

Amazon has this one for $69. Got mine in less than 24 hours! One left https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086TTTH5X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I'm strapped in!

If I may - regarding where to buy, might I suggest to make a search for a local store and ask them if they are able to get it. Usually they are, and most likely at the same price, or just a tiny bit more expensive, but you support your local-ish community. It may take a few days more of course, but it might be worth it to keep the local shops in business. Don't get me wrong - if the online megagiants are great for you, surely it is where you should do your trade. Sorry for the intrusion - looking forward to follow this interesting build!

• Profile Photo

Yeah, I just bought Tamiya's 1/48 F-117 (great kit with decals for Al Whitley's Toxic Avenger) and a bunch of paint from my LHS. I tend to go there first but sometimes I want what they can't get. Especially if it's a vintage kit. I tend to go to Al Busse at Oldmodelkits.com first to check for those. (Also, the entity I bought the kit from is a LHS, just not in my locality so I supported one somewhere! 🙂 I too am keen to keep the brick and mortar businesses around.)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hiya Josh (@jpatt1000)

Did this one get unwrapped?

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Just enough to look at the parts. I need to finish my International and KW Aerodyne trucks first. Trying to get an F-94A and YF-16 done too. They're close!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great, Josh @jpatt1000!