Bugatti Type 35B

Started by Kevin Fitzmaurice · 54 · 5 months ago · 1/12, Italeri
  • Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

I have always loved the look of this car, and was very pleased to see that a reasonably priced 1/12 kit was released this year (2023). I’m not good enough to tackle the MFH kit!

To be honest, this does not look like a new release kit, the quality of the moulding and instructions feels 20 years old, especially after making some delightful Bandai kits recently.

Anyway, I’m planning on making a slightly used, but well maintained version, with a few additions from my box of bits (DisplayPort cables are excellent sources of plug leads and “steel wire” as used on the brakes) and aftermarket body pins from Decalcas.

Planning on a blue car with Tamiya TS-10 French Blue and maybe a light covering of semi-gloss clear for that authentic 1920’s look!

I’ll add some more photos soon!

• Profile Photo

This arrived today, will have to wait for a while, though.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for coming over to the group, Kevin, @injidup, it will be interesting to see how we get on. I’ve found the fit of parts to be pretty good so far, but I think it was designed by the same team who did the old Protar kits.
    Your new Gordon Murray car looks interesting.

• Profile Photo

Yes, it will be very interesting comparing our builds!
    I plan to use yellow wires from a broken computer video (DisplayPort) cable for the spark plug leads, and also the braided (earth?) wire for the brake cables.

I’ve also used different colors on the engine.
    The Haynes manual is a good source of inspiration.

• Profile Photo

I actually ordered two of the GMA T.50 which has just arrived in Australia. One to build soon and one to keep for later. Unfortunately the shop sent me one T.50 and a Mustang GT4! 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Profile Photo

Some progress on the engine and chassis.

I’ve used a variety of colors on the engine. The block was sprayed with the remnants of a tin of Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver. The shinier silver parts are Mr. Colour Super Stainless, and there’s also aluminium and silver Tamiya acrylics.

The chassis is Tamiya Royal Light Grey TS-81.

I’ve also trial fitted the body to see how it fits. I plan to use AS-12 for the inside of the body.

Another thing I like using is metallic Sharpie marker pens for the gold, brass and silver parts. I’m also trying some cheap chrome pens as my Molotow pens are getting a bit old. So far so good with those.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @injidup!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Impressive progress, Kevin @injidup

• Profile Photo

I didn’t have much luck removing the chrome plating, I tried bleach and oven cleaner. I’ll just have to sand the chrome off. I’ve joined the radiator halves together and filled the join. I hope I can get a smooth finish across the joint! Then I’ll spray with Alclad Chrome.

Made a bit of progress with the chassis and rear axle too.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, my friend @injidup! Sanding the remaining chrome away will be just as good.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yeah, that chrome has to be got rid of, @injidup, just a light sanding to remove the gloss should give you a nice smooth surface to spray on, no need to completely remove the chrome I think. Great progress, there’s lots to do on this kit.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress indeed, Kevin @injidup

• Profile Photo

Worked on the radiator (thanks for the tips Spiros @fiveten and George @chinesegeorge ). Filled the gap and sanded, then sprayed with gloss black. Hopefully it’s all smooth enough for the Alclad.

• Profile Photo

Looking nice and smooth, my friend @injidup!

• Profile Photo

Looks perfectly smooth, Kevin @injidup