Bugatti Type 35B

Started by Kevin Fitzmaurice · 54 · 6 months ago · 1/12, Italeri
  • Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Small update.

I’ve started wiring the spark plugs, using video cable wires. It’s quite fiddly!

Also, the 3D printed body fixings arrived. These replace the little protrusions on the body and chassis and allow wire to be used, as on the real car. There are 100 of them in the picture!

I will have to be very careful cutting them out and fixing them to the body and chassis. Each one will require a 0.6mm hole. I suspect I should have ordered 2 sets.

I also need to fit lenses to the gauges. The clear parts provided look very thick. Do I use Micro Krystal Clear, which I haven’t tried before, or cut new lenses from some this clear plastic? I suspect the gauges may be too big for Micro Krystal Clear.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Kevin @injidup, I used the kit supplied lenses for the instruments, they look OK I think, remember the age of the car, they didn’t have super thin lenses then. Also the dashboard is pretty much hidden once the bodywork is fitted. Good luck with those body fixings.

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for the advice, George. Using the kit lenses save a bit of extra work!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Spark plug wires look really good, Kevin @injidup
    Those body fixings look great, a challenge to get them on.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

The wires look amazing, as do the the body fixings, my friend @injidup!

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Not much to add this week, but I thought I would try the bodywork pins, to see if I could remove them from the base without breaking them, and then drill a 0.6mm hole.
    They are TINY! But I think I can do it. I need to find a suitable “wire” to run between them.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

A very precise job that you do with pure excellence, my friend @injidup!

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months, 1 week ago:

It’s only the first of many! Consistency will be important. And I will have to try not to break the drill bits!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

This is going to be challenging but I'm sure you can tackle those tiny pins, Kevin @injidup

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months ago:

I’ve made some progress over the past few days.
    Wheels are assembled, hubs attached, some plumbing has been fitted around the engine bay using the copper “piping” provided.
    I’ve also cut the body pins off the chassis in preparation for drilling the holes for the 3D printed pins. I should probably paint it after I’ve drilled the holes.
    I did a dry fit of the wheels so you can see what it looks like. Definitely a Type 35!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months ago:

Looking very good, Kevin @injidup, nice to see her up on four wheels.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months ago:

Always a fine moment when a model wears its shoes, my friend @injidup! Great result!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months ago:

Some very nice progress, Kevin @injidup

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 8 months ago:

Dry fit of some of the body. The wheels look wonky because they are not fixed on yet!

I’ve also found something to use for the lock wires on the body - a broken acoustic guitar string that I’ve unwound and has provided a very fine piece of wire.
    I need to consider how to neatly colour the wheel bolts without making a mess of them!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months ago:

I think the parts fit is really good on this kit, Kevin @injidup.