Diorama of the Fords...

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 35 · 5 months ago · custom, diorama, Ford, Fujimi, GT, GT40, LEDs, Photo Etch, sports car, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

This should end up as a pretty cool display piece. The power button will be mounted inside the fire hydrant. The cap is printed as a separate piece. The hydrant and light pole were designed in 3ds Max and 3D printed on my Elegoo Mars 2. The pole is a scale 12', which is actually within 'standard'. not normal, but it should work for the diorama. The pole is also designed in 2 parts and is hollow for wiring. There will be a warm white mega LED in there. There will be an additional 1/2" x 1/2" piece added to the bottom of the base to allow for wiring.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I just realized the GT is parked in front of a hydrant. I'll have to put a ticket on the window.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wonderful idea, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

That will become a beautiful diorama, Brian @brithebuilder
    Especially if you put the fine behind the wiper.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice Brian @brithebuilder The GT is clearly illegally parked. You know how those supercar owners are.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is looking great, @brithebuilder, but I don’t think the GT40 is road legal, I think some sort of police presence is required.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

OK, this is just cool, Brian (@brithebuilder). Now you need some figures.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @johnb, @beauslx, @chinesegeorge, @gblair - Thank you all!

So, the parking ticket under the wiper blade of the GT is a must... I love the idea of a dude/couple talking to a cop right by the GT40. Figures will be stage 2 for the diorama though.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow! This diorama is getting wild, my friend @brithebuilder! Love your idea for a ticket and the inevitable "talking" between the men!

• Profile Photo

Progress. Asphalt and Concrete straight out of the tubs. I waited twenty or so minutes, until the concrete was dry to the touch, I used a ruler laid gently on the sidewalk to scribe the long line. I should have gone blade first, then back of the X-ACTO, but the breaking of the concrete edges looks pretty good anyway. I'm going to add the parking lines and the warning in front of the hydrant before weathering all of it. The sidewalk is not full width, but is a scale 6' section (76 mm).

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow! You are really going for it, Brian@brithebuilder. Are you going to put pavement markings on the asphalt? Red curb in front of hydrant? A policeman figure writing a parking ticket? And don’t forget a pedestrian walking a dog as it lifts a leg up by one of the wheels? Keep having fun with this!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

The AK texture paints look really good, Brian (@brithebuilder). I got some to use on my train layout, but haven't used them yet. Now I know what they look like.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very cool, Brian @brithebuilder! That looks great! 👏

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great start on the diorama, Brian @brithebuilder
    I agree with Eric @eb801 that a pedestrian with a dog, and lifting its leg, would be a nice addition as well.

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - Hey Eric, I am doing the parking lines as well as the red curb in front of the hydrant. I'm holding off on figures for now. The dog idea is hilarious. Can you imagine if you owned one of these vehicles and saw a dog starting to lift it's leg.

@gblair - The texture paints really are great George. The asphalt paints on but the concrete wants to be spread with a blade. It's pretty thick but that allows you to scribe the lines in very nicely. It's my first time, so I don't know the sweet spot in dry time to get perfect lines.

@garybrantley - Thanks Gary!

@johnb - Thanks John, the dog is a great idea. Figures may happen at some point in the future.