Ducati 916 - Tamiya 1/12 - work in progress

Started by George Williams · 36 · 9 years ago · 916, Ducati, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Copy that Al. All that lovely detail hidden in the name of aerodynamics!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Having added a few more ancillaries, like the battery, oil cooler, radiator, etc (sorry, I forgot to photograph those) the next stage is the front end.

This includes the front wheel, brake discs (again, I've drilled out the ventilation holes), front mudguard (fender) and forks. The forks were a bit troublesome. Like the silencers, they are supplied plated. I suppose you could leave them as they are and they would look ok, but, there are some colour calls for these as well, and, they have nasty seams back and front. In fact, if you paint them as instructed there is very little of the plating left So I proceeded to sand off the seams and paint as instructed. Here's a picture of all these components fitted. Not much more to do before covering it all up with the bodywork!

Thanks again for looking.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great. Doesn't appear that the decals on the body panels will present much of a challenge on this one.

• Profile Photo

You're right there, Al, as a road bike they are fairly discrete. On the other hand, it means you can't cover up the flaws in the paintwork with a decal!.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I'm curious..are you going to try to make the panels removable? I have finished my Suzuki and elected not to make the panels removable despite them covering of all the nice details.

• Profile Photo

You've finished the Suzuki, Jack, where is it? On this particular kit the panels are easily removeable just by undoing the screws, but I'm always scared of damaging the paintwork when doing this. Maybe I'll display it with the cowling on one side only, and leave the other uncovered?

• Profile Photo

I am getting ready to shoot some photos of the completed model in preparation of putting it in the headlines section. I found putting the panels on was a bit tricky and decided that making them removable was not worth the risk of damage.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Some very pretty work here, George.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Hello George,
    following you're blog I couldn't resist looking for my own Tamiya 916 and finally found her in a moving box that I haven't unpacked for the last two relocations. Note the date on the newspaper I wrapped around her ...
    And just in case you have a lack of proper photo sources ... here's mine, summer of 97 at some place in Toscana. 🙂

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for these, Halvar. I've discovered that I've probably painted the wheels the wrong colour. I've sprayed mine gold, whereas the instructions call for a gold/silver mix, but, I'm not going to change them now...Your model looks great despite being wrapped up for quite a while. As for the picture of the real thing, both the bike and the countryside look beautiful!

Thanks again, George

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Don't worry about that, George. They have constantly decreased the percentage of gold in the frame and wheel colour. It started very goldish, moved more towards grey year by year and ended without any touch of gold in the final release of the 916 that was named 998. When I made my model, I tried to match as much as possible my own motorbike.

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures of the 916 virtually finished but before the cowlings are attached. The kit includes a racing stand (as in the pictures) as well as a working prop stand, but the prop stand doesn't seem very safe!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Outstanding George.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Yep looks really good George, I've enjoyed watching this one build up. Great work 😉

• Profile Photo

Marvelous George, just marvelous!