Ferrari 641/2 (F190)

Started by Cricket · 38 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year ago:

@fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @bikequeen. HI GUYS! Remember me? Been busy with the 1/1 truck and fending off weather :(. Yesterday was a nice calm slow rainy day so I decided to start this Tamiya 1/12th. Paid a lot of money for this kit only your find the tires had deteriorated the seller wouldn’t back it up so I got stuck with it. After sitting there for a few months and me “jonesin ” to build a model I started it. A V12 engine…..this is not your daddies Cosworth 🙂 (apologies to Ferrari aficionados for the incorrect paints colors). Here it is….way more to it that I first thought. (Added bonus spring weather shot of my backyard) 🙂

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year ago:

@bikequeen - Great to see you Cricket. Looks like a super fun build. I'm sure you can find some aftermarket tires to replace the originals. It does look like an older kit based on the box art anyway. Also looks like you've made significant progress. Your yard looks beautiful. Way more leaves than what we have in SE Wisconsin so far.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

I love racing cars, Cricket (@bikequeen), especially the old Formula 1 cars. This one looks awesome. Glad you are surviving the weather. I live in Central Texas, and we just had 5 inches of rain, along with severe storms, golfball-size hail, and a tornado. Supposed to have a another round of severe storms tonight. We need the rain, but I am really getting tired of all this severe stuff.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

For sure we remember you, Cricket @bikequeen
    Looks like this will become a great build. Pity about the tires but as said by Brian @brithebuilder, you will likely find some aftermarket ones.
    What an amazing view you have on that last picture, is that taken from your home?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

This is a great kit, Cricket @bikequeen, and it’s equally great to see you back at the modelling bench (or maybe the kitchen table), I’m sure you’ll sort out the tyre problem, I think you can get some resin rain tyres. Are you still planning to build that 1/20 Le Mans Jaguar?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Great to see you back, my friend @bikewueen! Amazing job on the Ferrari!
    And great that the weather is calmer now.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year ago:

Amazing @bikequeen, good to see you back. Ah man what a dream kit, sorry to hear about the tires - if you can't find you can maybe makes some of the heating blankets they use when the car is parked to cover that up.

Love this kit - would love one of those myself - looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year ago:

@anthonyricco @fiveten @chinesegeorge @brithebuilder @gblair @johnb

Thanks all I had a bunch of responses all typed out and the site crashed on me 🙁

Here are update pics, finished the engine/drivetrain Saturday and started the monocoque Tuesday’s, lots more progress since but here are earlier pics

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year ago:

@brithebuilder yes thats my back yard and also the view from my combo kitchen table and work bench :). I have searched for tires but got impatient and just cracked on. @gblair ….so you’re the one sending us the evil stuff :). I have a friend in Texas so I am up on it all there. I am also a SKYWARN spotter for NWS Memphis…so I’m kinda plugged in. @chinesegeorge the jag is on the shelf of doom, there tons of decals and try as I may I could not get them right so I didn’t go any further 🙁 @fiveten Spiros the bad weather isn’t over, it’s just calm now. the mid south of the US gets a lot of it, the cold air moving south misses with the warn air from the Gulf of Mexico and BOOM…usually right over us :). I hate it and I love my little home but I’m sorry I moved here for weather reasons. @anthonyricco yeah it’s a nice kit but do to it’s age the tires are bad, and I kinda knew they would be but paid ton o bucks on it anyway….SIGH. DOnt know what’s the heating blankets are.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Interior looks great, Cricket (@bikequeen). Did those seat harnesses come with the kit or did you get some aftermarket? Two more rounds of storms this week, with rain, hail, and tornadoes. One more due Friday night. I think they all eventually head over toward you. Sorry.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Both the engine and interior look great, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

This is great progress, Cricket @bikequeen
    The seatbelts are very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, here’s the info on those resin replacement rain tyres, maybe an idea for you, I got this from Scalemates.com. Love your work on this Ferrari so far.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year ago:

@bikequeen - fantastic work as always. The progress is looking really great. The details are very nice, the seatbelts as other's have pointed out but also the small stuff, I really like how the metallic blue bits pop out.

We recently had a 50 degree temperature swing. Unseasonably warm one week, we hit 85, then overnight it dropped to 35 and it snowed. Not much, but it did stick for the day. One of my Dad's sayings was 'the only thing you know about WI weather is it's about to change'. I am happy we typically don't get tornadoes or any other form of natural disasters though. I don't need earthquakes adding to my shaky hands! 😉

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year ago:

@brithrbuilder @fiveten @chinesegeorge @Johnb @gblair thanks everyone, I looked up and found the tires on Scalemates but no price or any way to order them :(. Brian, yeah thats what we have been having upper 70’s then nose dive to 40’s. seatbelts/harness came with the kit, it also had a sheet of adhesive aluminum color, but I found that Tamiya Silver Leaf TS-30 color match perfectly and easier to apply. Also the kit had a felt, almost suede like material for the seat but it was out of scale and didn't lay very well….I guess it was to old to use. Luckily I had a can of dark yellow so I used it on the sets and pads instead 🙂

More to come…reaching the finish line…so to speak 😉