Ferrari FXX

Started by Richard Mcstay · 74 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Time for a car build I think just for a change of scenery!

The FXX is one of my favourite cars of all time and this kit looks absolutely brilliant. I didn't realise how old the kit was till I checked for this WIP, it was released in 2006. Still everything about it looks like cutting edge Tamiya.

I'm really looking forward to this build although I don't think it will be a quick one! I've got the full carbon fibre interior decal sheet for it which looks fantastic when applied ( providing it goes down ok ). I think I'll definitely get the PE set from Tamiya as well, although it's not completely essential as Tamiya have included a couple of mesh sheets for the grills. They will probably look the part anyway but I think the photo etch will be a lot easier to work with as the mesh needs cut to the correct size.

Now for the important question, what colour should I do it? I'm thinking either red or black but still not 100% sure.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The attention to detail in this kit is fantastic. The engine itself looks fantastic, particularly the quality of the plastic moulding. I put the engine together first for a test fit before painting.

I started the painting process for the engine and manifold in my normal way by priming all the parts gloss black. I then painted over the top with Tamiya acrylic and Alclad, finishing with a diluted wash of Tamiya smoke.

Still a bit more to do but there's the engine taking shape. A Ferrari 6.3l V12 that produces over 800 bhp giving the car close to F1 levels of performance.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 years, 10 months ago:

I think white might be cool...

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 10 months ago:

I see another beauty coming along Richard.
    I see Tamiya have added the latest mod on the FXX according to their website.
    I shall keep a watch on this one, if I may dear sir.

• Profile Photo

White would be cool indeed George but the kit decals are white also, I was really wanting to use them. I'm thinking I might be boring and do it in red. Still not 100% though.
    Cheers Simon, of course you may participate! The more the merrier! I'm not too sure about the FXX K, I don't think it looks as good as I was hoping it was going to. Still I'm sure it's a revolutionary driving experience mind!

• Profile Photo

I've been called back to work again unfortunately so progress on this one will slow down for a while. I'm currently sat on a jack up vessel on the Tyne, waiting for the green light to set sail to Holland for a month. On the plus side though, I didn't need a chopper to get here so I've brought the kit and smuggled a craft knife on board! I'll be able to take the parts off the sprues and give them a sand and polish in my cabin, ready to go straight in the spray booth when I get back.

Before I was called away though I did manage to get the engine up on its brackets and install the rear axle.

That's it for now though. I'll probably dry build a few parts and post some pics at some point.

• Profile Photo

Nice start Richard, those exhaust pipes look good.
    What paint did you use ?

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Nice build so far. I'll throw this at you - that bright Ferrari yellow might not look bad on this one and it would definitely be different...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Simon, thanks mate. I primed them in Tamiya X-1 gloss black then used X-32 titanium silver. Where the exhaust manifold pipes bend, I sprayed over lightly with Alclad burnt iron, then gave it a fast thin spray of Alclad exhaust manifold in the creases. The engine block itself is Tamiya XF-16 aluminium with a thinned smoke wash.

Thank you Jaime, much appreciated. That does look fairly cool mind! I'm wanting to use the kit decals though with the thin tricolore stripe inside the larger white stripe. I think this will look best in either red, black or white... but I'm leaning towards red. I think...

Your right though, it does look good in yellow. I've had a look on ebay and other sites for some interesting after market decals, but the selection seems to be quite limited.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 10 months ago:

I vote for the iconic Ferrari Red...this build is gonna look fabulous from what I've seen so far.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Craig, thanks. It's a fifty pound Tamiya kit so hopefully it should look half decent, unless I make a mess of it that is!
    I'm back to being 50/50 red or black I think. Black will look cool with the red wheel rims and a red interior I'm thinking, but maybe I should do it in red being a special Ferrari. This is going to be a hard decision!

• Profile Photo

I think I'd go for the red as well, this one is a classic. I'm sure I read somewhere recently that priming with yellow really makes the red "pop"...

• Profile Photo

Wow, fifty of your English pounds is a lot of money, presumably that includes the extra etched parts and the carbon decals?

• Profile Photo

That is just the kit George, I have just looked online, 50 quid !.
    But hey , we all have fun.

• Profile Photo

I think it has been decided, red it is! I'll have a look at the yellow primer George, that could work. I've got a LaFerrari in the stash cupboard as well. I think that might look cool in white, but that build is about a year away, it's behind the Harrier and the Flanker in the order of things to come!

I'm afraid the fifty quid just gets you the kit. The carbon fibre decals were not cheap either! I can't remember exactly how much they were now without back dating my many pay pal receipts. The carbon fibre decals for the newer kits are only a tenner, give or take, but I think these ones are a bit harder to come by being an older kit. I had to search the darkest corners of ebay to find them!

I'd say the kit is completely worth it though! The quality and level of both accuracy and detail are outstanding, and you know it's going to fit like a glove being a Tamiya. It is easily the most impressive car kit I've bought by a million miles, I'm really enjoying building it. It will be interesting to see if the newer LaFerrari kit is even more of a step up.

All I can do for now though is take the parts off the sprues, being on a boat and all. I've been dry building it as I go along for a few pics, which is easier said than done with the North Sea waves. I should have brought some blue tac!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.