Ferrari FXX

Started by Richard Mcstay · 74 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Just a quick test fit with the primed body parts. Maybe it would look better in white...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 years, 8 months ago:

People might think it's a model of Chris Evans' car.

• Profile Photo

Good point George! We'll keep it red then.

• Profile Photo

Now that the frame and engine of the car are pretty much complete, there are a lot of sub assembly's to contend with. I've attached the under side of the engine bay, along with the side brackets for the nose cowl, roof panel and windscreen. Hopefully these will serve as a good marker for test fitting the main pieces of body work.

I've painted all of the body panels at the same time to try to ensure that the colour is even throughout. Try being the operative word mind! In between layers of gloss I have been giving the parts a very light rub with some very smooth micro mesh, this is great for removing all those little bits of carpet fibre that seem to settle on my freshly varnished surfaces! The Ferrari red is looking rather pink mind in some of the photos. I can assure you it is red as my eyes are seeing it... I may need to address that one for the article photos.

I also masked off the photo etch sheet for the grills and sprayed them all in a semi gloss black.

I've put the decals down on all of the body work, but I'm going to post these bits in a sort of chronological order to keep up with the sub assemblies.The rear engine bay cover is now finished I think. The carbon fibre decals inside went down really well, which I wasn't expecting! I've used a little bit of PVA glue to fasten the PE grills and glass in place, and that is it for tonight!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice Richard.
    She is looking really sharp, and quite sexy too.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Simon, thanks. The angular look of the car does look a little bit dated now compared to the LaFerrari, but it will always be a fantastic looking machine in my eyes! More of the sub assemblies for the main body work. The rear wheel arches are complete and the carbon fibre decals have set. I've started adding the PE grills with a few little dots of PVA as not to melt the paint work. I used the PVA also for fixing in the clear window parts. The doors panels are glued together now with the mechanism inside.

Just a few more sub assemblies to finish off and we might have a complete model by the end of the evening if everything goes according to plan. Which it never does!

• Profile Photo

I think you have got the knack of these cars Richard.
    Great job mate.
    Looking forward to seeing her finished and in Headlines.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Simon, thanks for the vote of confidence! Everyone is still a learning curve mind. But I guess that's what the hobby is all about!

I said I thought it would be finished last night, but then I opened a bottle of Frosty Jack and thought I'd best leave it well alone, that stuff is rocket fuel... and horrible as well actually.

That's the back end of the car complete and fixed in place. The metal exhaust tips and Ferrari badge supplied in the kit are a nice little touch. Also the front cowl is pretty much done apart from the tow ring, the paint is drying on that at present. The build is starting to come together a bit now. I'll definitely have to take the pics for the article in natural light, it still looks a bit pink on some of the photos.

• Profile Photo

Oh yes Richard, those P.E. bits have definitely given the edge to the front and back mate.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Simon, yeah they look okay. The mesh provided in the kit would have done the same job, you just had to cut it out first though.

The FXX is complete at last. The final jobs were the fiddly bit's as normal with a car build. The lights and indicators went on the front and also the front and back release clips for the engine bay and front. I'm not really sure what to call them... I don't think the FXX really has a bonnet and boot! They were photo etch anyway provided in the detail up set.

The final job was to make the engine hoses. I used the Tamiya 2.0mm diameter hoses and threaded some copper wire inside to allow them to be shaped.

Well that is it done. I just need to wait till about 6 o'clock for the sun to come round the front of the house for the photos. I'm hoping for sun anyway, but I do live in Newcastle so we might have to wait another fortnight before it's in the headlines!

• Profile Photo

Fine job mate, sun in Newcastle... have you been on the Frosty Jack ?

• Profile Photo

Not for a few days!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Very neat work, Richard, and I'm sure the Newcastle sun will bring out the red paintwork. I can't quite get my head round the time difference, do you mean 6 am or pm? We're seven hours ahead of BST here in China, so it's currently about 6:15 in the morning here, I've just had my Weetabix! Looking forward to seeing the FXX in Headlines.

• Profile Photo

Cheers George, I haven't got round to posting it yet as my mate turned up with a crate of Stella.
    It's half 3 in the morning now and I've just had by doner kebab if that sheds any light on the time difference!