Ford GT40 - 1968 Le Mans Winner

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 129 · 6 months ago · custom, Ford, Fujimi, LEDs, Photo Etch, sports car
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

This seems to be a very nice kit from Fujimi. I've never built a Fujimi kit before, so hopefully, the fit is as good as Tamiya and Bandai.
    The photoetch is from SpotModel.com and the LEDs, as always, are from Evan Designs.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Brian, this is going to be very interesting for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing this built! Back in 1966-'67, I had three different Ford GT kits. I bought them all while living in Geelong, Victoria, Australia as a 13–14-year-old. The original GT and the MKII models were finished, while the clear body J Car was never done. Recently, I uncovered various parts of all three kits during a scale model archaeological dig at our house. 😄 One entire model might be possible with all the sundry pieces left, but that would require the patience of Job, at least. 😁

The Ford GT is one of all-time favorites among racing automobiles and it would be one of my very first post-lottery win buys! 😉 😊

Original Ford GT by IMC

Ford GT Mk II by IMC

Ford GT J-Car by MPC

• Profile Photo

@garybrantley - Very cool Gary. I think you have to attempt to piece together a kit from all of your parts. That would be very cool if it actually all worked out.

The side engine air intakes are different on the Le Mans edition GT 40 Mark II from Fujimi and the Mark II from your pic. Too many variations...

The current GT is my personal dream car. I've always been a Ford guy I guess. The current Corvette super car is quite beautiful though.

Eventually I think I'll need the GT4 model sitting between the GT and the GT40... just seems right.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

I’ll be interested in following this build, @brithebuilder, Fujimi have a great range of sports cars but the kits are quite dated now. They have a Ferrari P4 in their range, so you could do a Ford vs Ferrari scenario.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

George @chinesegeorge, in my humble opinion, there are very few racing cars more beautiful than the P3/P4 Ferraris!

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge - Interesting idea George, I already have the GT I built with this in mind though... I'm ok with the dated Fujimi GT 40 alongside the newer Tamiya GT, kind of seems appropriate actually. I'm hoping it drills nicely for the LEDs.

• Profile Photo

Hi Gary @garybrantley, I’m with you there on the Ferrari P3/P4s.

• Profile Photo

Hi Brian @brithebuilder, I forgot to ask you which colour are you going for, blue, black, or gold?

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge - I'm doing the Gulf Blue and Orange... the #9 car. I have a similar blue and orange. It'll be close but not an exact match. The only concern I have is the Dark Blue pinstripe. That's going to be a challenge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome entry, my friend @brithebulder!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great entry, Brian @brithebuilder
    Perfect choice on the livery, the Gulf blue is so iconic for this car.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! This should be a fun one.
    @johnb - Thanks John. The light blue and orange should contrast nicely with the dark blue metallic of the GT which also has orange interior accents.

• Profile Photo

Well, this is going to be 'fun'. It'll look awesome when it's done though.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those seats look great, @brithebuilder, but you’ve got your work cut out with those etched parts.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Talk about eye strain...