*** M&M's DECAL WORK ***

Started by DE4EVER · 8 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    DE4EVER said 8 years, 8 months ago:

🙂 ... Greetings ... 🙂 :

It has been a little while since my last posting of a model here. Now that the whole moving mission is over and I finally have a room and getting my PC and modeling organized I can say that NOW! ... I am ready ... 🙂 .

This post I believe is maybe what can be called as my first WIP ... ever! ... ( if that ).

This model was done a few years ago, I was experimenting then with a digital camera and having fun. I found this DVD in my case, popped in in my PC and saw these pictures.

As you all know, SLIXX decals can be a somewhat difficult product ... but boy ! ... are they nice and with very exclusive schemes. Back then ... this is what we had as top notch . Got to love them. I have quite a few, and more models done with these decals ( I will be posting them eventually ) .

Knowing that these decals tend to be more on the STIFF side ( maybe due to the years in stock ), and no matter what decal solution is used or overcoat ... they will come apart. To make matters worse they ( no matter what ) will not conform to any STRONG or HEAVILY PRONOUNCED curve, shape or detail body work. Such is the case for this Grand Prix. If you watch the nose of this car, there is a few design line depressions in the bumpers , again to make things worse, these are also present as the nose curves to the side. The decals ( no matter what, will not take this form ).

As you can see in the pictures, I opted to PAINT the M&M's. The first step was a base coat of a few layers of WHITE, that way the colors of the M&M's can jump out . I started by tracing the decal portion needed, and then made paper stencils. I cut these off and then proceeded to place them on the model. I then penciled the edges to the model, all while using patience. I used ACRILYCS to paint the M&M's, that way this will not affect the LAQUER coating. These were thinned down with water, to a degree of almost transparent. That is what I wanted, I was looking too achieve a very thin coat . I painted them a few many times, at first the brush strokes can be seen, but they will eventually even off. The M&M on the rear was painted completely, there was no way, these decals were going to conform to those curves. I then sanded them ( when dried , of course ), BRUSH painted the M's on them, set them off to dry, and then the next day AIRBRUSHED the white highlights on them, set them off to dry. The next day , AIRBRUSHED the dark highlight's. I set them off all these day's because really there is no rush. They were dried in less than 15 minutes, but I was in no hurry. I will post the finished model soon.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 8 years, 8 months ago:

That is a lot of work, but it is looking good so far.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Erik, you are the decal master!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Is that the old Ernie Irvin ride...?

• Profile Photo

🙂 ... Greetings ... 🙂 :

Hello Jack ... 🙂 . Actually ... I don't consider this task as WORK. It is lot's of FUN! Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy the decal phase in modeling. This whole concept might look a little bit out of the ordinary, I know, but dealing with SLIXX decals one can and should expect a bit of problems and see it all in a very positive way. This here is a way of putting a few painting task and a few skills at work, it really is a very good opportunity to apply these traits. I see it as part of the NITTY GRITTY of this hobby..

The model was done four years ago, I will soon post it in the forum, I found this CD and popped in my PC too see what was in it and found these pictures as well as others in similar process. The way I was organized years ago is way different, the way I now do things on my PC has changed, I am looking for the finished model CD, find the pictures and post them. Luckily very soon.

• Profile Photo

🙂 ... Greetings ... 🙂 :
    thank you for that comment Bernard ... but with all due respect ... a MASTER I am not.
    I just happen to enjoy this task.
    Again ... THANK YOU.

• Profile Photo

🙂 ... Greetings ... 🙂 :
    Craig, yes it is an Ernie Irvin car.
    I hope to post the pictures of the model soon, I just happen to find these before and seeing that a while has passed since I last posted a picture I just wanted too share these.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing more of your old builds as you find them, sir.