Talbot Lago Grand Prix 1/24 by Heller

Started by Michael Ezat · 23 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 4 months, 1 week ago:

The famous Talbot Lago GP , winner of some early '50's races has since made his appearance as a model kit , first like a Merit kit and then from 1979 as a new tooling from Heller .Since then the only thing that has changed are the box and the decals .

His age is obvious : This is a basic and simplified kit counting 86 pieces of white and clear styrene and four soft rubber tyres .Nevertheless, it has some nice elements that give a touch of optimism to the prospect of its construction . It is also a good base for spending time adding some extra parts and scratching some more . The kit provides a thrifty engine which is thirsty for wiring and piping as well as the three simplified dual Solex carburetors .

Spoked wheels are fine on the front half , the inner parts needs some attention putting some diet on the spokes or changing them with wire or pins .

The muzzle screams for a perforated grid as well as the cockpit needs a good update with better instruments , levers and switches .

The steering and suspension they still have some room for improvement and finally the body , hmm , I am thinging about openning the ventilation grills .

But all this is theoretical, let's start slowly and see along the way , looks like a pleasant trip awaits us .

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

A great entry, my friend @faraomike! The result out of this elderly kit will be awesome after being tackled by your excellent skills. Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Seems like a great kit, Michael @faraomike
    Good to hear that you want to give it some extra attention on various points.
    Looking forward to see this beautiful car taking shape.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 4 months, 1 week ago:

That’s a great car, @faraomike, and I’m sure you will make an equally great model out of this vintage Heller kit. Talking of vintage, I have a Dinky Toy Talbot dating from the 1950s, so getting on for 70 years old.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Thank you guys @fiveten , @johnb , @chinesegeorge , I will try to do my best !

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 4 months ago:

Hello my friends and happy new year to all ! Some time for modelling within our holidays and I grab the opportunity , so the results are :

A muzzle with new mesh including the opening for the starting crank and with smooth surface (without some grilles as seen in several photos . Also I add two reinforcements from plastic rod .

For the same place I scratch a new radiator from plastic sheet and fine aluminium mesh .

Staying front , some tighteners for the engine hood (their tires are bolted to the fixed part of the hood and snaps on the upper ) .

Continued with the engine , I scratch some details on carburetors relying on my reference photos , prepairing the valves covers to accept some piping and adding some bolts and an oil filler .

Finally , I have done the first step with the exhaust , making her "hollow" .

I have to return on some of those parts to add more details (carburetors , valve covers) or for some fine touches on others (muzzle , exhaust) but in general this is the path I am going to follow .

Many more have to follow , in and out most of them concern the engine, but the rest of the vehicle, inside or out .

What is certain is that it is a pleasant construction with a cooperative kit .

So , next update probably will come next year , until then I wish to all HAPPY NEW YEAR and have fun with your projects !

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Excellent scratch building, Michael @faraomike
    You must have steady hands to create those tiny parts.
    Did you also bend those tighteners yourself?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 4 months ago:

Great start to this build, @faraomike, great detailing.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John (@johnb) .
    My hands aren't what they used to be, but I still manage . Yes , the tighteners are 100% scratch from a coke can .

• Profile Photo

Thank you George (@chinesegeorge) , more stuff will come soon .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Fantastic scratch build skills, my friend @faraomike! Looking forward to see this beauty coming together!
    Happy 2024!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros (@fiveten) , happy 2024 !

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Here we are again ! Happy new year to all !

Continuing with the beautiful French , I prepare all (or almost all) the parts for painting . But before this I had to scratch some framing into the "cockpit" and two small parts , one within the cockpit too and one for the engine bay .

Also one more for under the car/into the cockpit toghether with a small removing just in front of the driver , a new instrument panel toghether with the gear selector , a new level on the right of the driver (handbrake ?) and to modificate the steering wheel doing it more realistic with embossed finger positions .

So , next step is to start painting everything and prepares for final assembly . Until then , I wish to all of you a happy weekend .

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great detailing done, Michael @faraomike

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Fantastic detail job, my friend @faraomike!