Tamiya 12th Scale Brabham BT44

Started by Robert Aspinall · 28 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Aspinall said 1 year ago:

My latest project the Brabham BT44.
    I picked this up wen it was reissued a couple of years ago. It's an old kit and in need of some enhancements. I've made some parts from alloy turned up in an old watch makers lathe or using simple hand tools. I'll also be using micro nuts and bolts to replace and improve the old mouldings.
    Thanks for looking.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

Great to see this here, @robert-aspinall, looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Great entry and ditto start on the engine, Robert @robert-aspinall.
    Looks like you have a real engine on the bench, very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Excellent entry and solid progress already, my friend @robert-aspinall! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gents for your comments and encouragement.
    Since my last post I've painted the pedals and scratch built a new gear selector for the cockpit using just the knob from the original.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

True craftsmanship, Robert @robert-aspinall
    Incredible detailing.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic job, my friend @robert-aspinall!

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.:-)

• Profile Photo

Looks like you could actually change gear, @robert-aspinall.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George.

• Profile Photo

Some backwards and forwards with the Brabham. I've been trying a different primer for plastics which goes on very well but I was having problems applying colour coats, just looked like bad surface contamination. I had to rub the snorkel back twice before I worked out that it was me flatting back the primer that was the problem. With that worked out I was able to paint the body and start the polishing. I've had more success devising a polished but grainy alloy look.
    Hope you like the pictures.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress and superb looks so far, my friend @robert-aspinall! Painting results are great, you overcame the "contamination" issue nicely!

• Profile Photo

The solution worked out great, Robert @robert-aspinall
    Looks very nice now.

• Profile Photo

The paintwork looks good now, @robert-aspinall, as does the rivet detailing, and the shock absorber mountings.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Aspinall said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Latest work on the Brabham.

I fitted the kit rack but didn't appreciate just how massive and visible it would be. It also didn't engage with the pinion gear very well. I made a simple U channel from some alloy sheet to hide the pinion and face the plastic front and lift the rack into mesh. I also replaced the over scale steering column with some reamed out alloy tube. I also made new track ends from brass as the original ones were rather over scale. The rising rate links were also replaced with alloy tube, reamed out M1 nuts and wire loops. Same for the drop links but with M.8 nuts and thinner tube.

Thanks for looking.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.