Tamiya 12th Scale Brabham BT44

Started by Robert Aspinall · 28 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

I think at the time it was all the rage to make the steering and shock absorbers work, hence the overscale linkages, well done for replacing these, @robert-aspinall.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

@robert-aspinall - WOW, amazing detail work!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is amazing detailing work, Robert @robert-aspinall
    Great progress all over.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well done so far, my friend @robert-aspinall! Great improvements!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Aspinall said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Some more progress.

I replaced the front anti roll bar for one made from alloy tube. The drop and rising rate links were made from alloy and more micro nuts reamed out to fit over the tube. When it was all fitted it worked!

I wasn't happy with the mountings for the oil tank or how they aligned with the monocoque so I removed them and replaced them with alloy tube. I could now fit the tank using micro nuts and bolts. The body is test fitted and its tight. I'm struggling to get the gaps closed up which is annoying but I believe the plan is to display the model with the body panels off which could be a blessing. Th screen fittings were made from domed .7mm foil discs.

Thanks for looking.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @robert-aspinall!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

I continue to be amazed at the quality of your detail work, @Robert-aspinall.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

This looks really great, Robert @robert-aspinall

• Profile Photo
    Robert Aspinall said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks again everyone for the positive comments and encouragement. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Robert Aspinall said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Not a great deal of progress as I've been distracted by other projects.

Roll hoop as supplied needs work to replicate missing detail, it's a snug fit so no room for error. Where the back support meets the hoop there should be two brackets and a tube with a bolt through. Also the bar that carries the head rest should be mounted in a similar way, I didn't manage to capture this detail in any of my pictures.

I replaced a screw cap which fits behind the drivers head with one turned from alloy, it just looks more realistic I think.

Radiators and nose cone support structure added along with the bottom hoses with foil clips. The last picture shows what I believe to be a bottle that supplies air to the driver in case of fire. I removed the moulded fitting from the end and replaced it with telescopic alloy tubing. the retaining straps were made from alloy foil tape.

Thanks for looking.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

That's some very nicve detailing, Robert @robert-aspinall
    Excellent progress.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Solid progress and excellent result so far, my friend @robert-aspinall!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi @robert-aspinall, your attention to detail is awe inspiring, this Brabham is going to look fantastic.