VW Pick Up, Tamiya / CMK 1/48 FINISHED!

Started by Erik Gjørup · 65 · 1 year ago · 1/48, airbum, beetle, CMK, conversion, halfworks, quarterscale, Tamiya, Type 82E, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

More fitting and feddling

It seems like a neverending story with the dryfitting and sanding on this one

With the gift of hindsight, I would most likely toss such a badly damaged piece of plastic in the bin. But on the other hand, now I know how NOT to remove paint, and after all it is actually kind of fun.

The hood has been sanded to make the transition better – LqS is very nice to work with after having cured for a month or so!

I glued some evergreen to the sides immediately aft of the cabin, and a lot of time has been spent filing and sanding that to shape.

With the shape roughly correct I found it was time to rough-cut the frame

The resin was held in place, and the shape of the wall was cut with a flush-cut tool

And this is where it is at right now

Now it is time to decide if I join the halves – should be rather easy as the mating surfaces are plastic – and then some LqS to blend everything in nicely before more finetuning.

next it will get some paint-filler and more sanding, at least that is what I think

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice coming together, my friend @airbum!
    Lqs full steam ahead!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend - one more update in a sec. . . .

• Profile Photo

And some more. . .

Having primed this one, I have been feddling and fiddling with it

In order to make as close a fit as possible, I have been having a cozy time sanding and dryfitting and filing and dryfitting and. .

And once in a while I have been sipping coffee and reading pictures in my monster “Mersu” book (it is in finnish, and that is not one of my strong points understanding Finnish)

next up – oh my, your guess is as good as mine I think (I did start up the old Badger airbrush, painting the other VW, but alas, the paint was too thick. More on that later).

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Erik @airbum , are you crossing over to the dark side of modelling going land based ? 😉
    The salvaged parts of the beetle turned very good, and that pick up version is one I have not seen before. Are these civilians beetles or military¿?

• Profile Photo

Starting to come along together with the priming, my frien @airbum!
    and looking nicer and nicer.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Man, I admire your persistence on this one, @airbum

• Profile Photo

Thank you for all the nice comments. You know I do appreciate them @fiveten, @michel-verschuere and @holzhamer.

Pedro, yep, the force is strong. . . I had no doubt I would eventually build one when I first saw the conversin kit for this one. They will both be made as Civilians to fit into this group.

• Profile Photo

Paint

Finally temperatures has increased, and I gave the airbrush a try

Trying to hit a proper color for a working vehicle I ended up with some Humbrol 106

It looks a lot like RLM 66?

Well, that’ll have to do

I installed the dashboard some time ago, and it will have to be painted in the body-color

now the paint has to be reasonable dry to mask off some parts, then the interior will get the exterior-color and some decals and detailpainting

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @airbum!
    I keep on trying to hold myself from starting the 1/24 Tamiya New Beetle!

• Profile Photo

Spiros my friend - you should start by holding yourself from building a 1/48 beetle first 😀

Thank you @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Paint!

I painted the first layer yesterday

And with that dry it got another round today

Oh, by the way – the grey was only for the interior, as you can see. The exterior has a very light color as it is to be some sort of delivery / working car and not a military vehicle. I know there were not a lot of these around, but some are bound to have been used.

next up some details / glass and assembly of the body. There will be some more blending in, filing and sanding involved, and then some final finish – two or three more posts?

• Profile Photo

Keeping the goods in

In order not to loose the cargo, some walls are needed

Of course these are included in the resin kit, but they were warped, so I took the opportunity to make new ones.

This also gave me the possibility to reverse them, so the outsides were flush and the frame on the inside.

In my opinion that just might be the way a wagonmaker would do it, making the whole look a bit nicer on the street.

I just used some evergreen that were cut from a sheet. I have a lot of rods, but preferred to make my own this time around.

The kit windows were installed.

I do not really like the way they look, and next time I may make some from sheet. Time will tell.

next up will be some minor details – after more filing/sanding, and then the last round of paint is not that far off

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @airbum!
    Love the cargo area!

• Profile Photo

Front and back finished

I have added some details to the aft deck, and added instruments

The Instruments are a simple decal and a VW-logo for the other panel

The filler on the front could have been better, but this is all it gets

Some small resinparts added at the rear

And a closer look at not perfect front