Yamaha YZR-M1

Started by Richard Mcstay · 22 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Cheers gents, thanks very much for the compliments!

I'm currently packing my model bench into boxes ready for the move so no progress on the Yamaha. I might be able to finish the B2 by the morning though, just the small revell kit straight out the box.

I know what you mean George, I'd like to see a few more modern road legal bikes from them. I'd love a Kawasaki H2R! But I'm sure they won't disappoint in the future.

The latest ones they have released though are fantastic! The Panigale was a joy to build, and you can get decals now to convert it into the 1299. I think it would be worth building it again it was that good! I've bought the RC213V, just opened the box and had a look so far, but it looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I had to put this one aside for a while with moving house. My new house has been upside down with decorating and what not, and then there was the standard complications installing the internet! Weeks of no connection trying to get through to BT's call centre in the Himalayas just to find out they hadn't even tried to connect it yet! You know the drill...

Before I continue tough, here's one of our man in action from a recent GP.

I decided not to go for the front fork detail up kit with this one, just because I wanted to see how it turns out straight out the box. I'll say at this point though that I'm very impressed with the kit! It's the first GP bike I've built and it's obviously a modern kit, but it goes together fantastic, and the engineering of it is brilliant.

The front wheel and brakes went on and connected up without any problems. I'd also like to mention that the Brembo brakes and discs alone will cost more than all of my previously owned motorcycles put together!

Whilst I am faithfully replicating Rossi's 2008 bike, I couldn't help doing my own thing with the paddock stand and used some alclad burnt metal shades.

Next is the fairings. First I sprayed them flat black inside making sure that the opposite sides were fully masked. I used the masks included with the kit to paint the white and blue parts, but I didn't get any photos of that unfortunately, totally forgot!

Now my favourite part of any build, the decals! I love this part, seeing the build start to come to life! I've got most of them on but the micro sol is still doing its thing, so more photo's tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Here comes another stunner, great work so far, looks completely real to my eye !

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Lovely work as ever Richard.
    Glad to see you back on bench.

• Profile Photo

Thanks very much guys, it's good to be back on the bench. I've got the new command centre half operational now! Still painting to do and shelves to put up though. I'll post pictures of it in the groups section when the decor is at a satisfactory level! Whenever that may be.

That's the last of the fairings finished with decals and a few layers off gloss. I can't put all the fairings on till I'm ready to do the photography for the final article. I still need to have a play around in the new house to find some good spots of lighting, etc.

Here's a couple of the finished bike for now with the plastics off. That's it done, thanks very much for all the great feedback and positive comments along the way! Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Racing along Richard, and looking pretty damn good too.

• Profile Photo

Cheers mate.