Chaos Knights

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 118 · 1 year ago · Chaos Knight, custom, LED, Sci-Fi, Warhammer 40000, Warhammer 40K
  • Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

The painting is what pulls the train and the fun part is seeing what develops Brian. Looks like things are starting to hop and come to life.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

The ivory parts do look very nice, Brian @brithebuilder
    Great paintwork on them.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 1 month ago:

@gblair, @chinesegeorge, @stephen-w-towle, @johnb, @fiveten, @anthonyricco

Progress... painting the trim is slow. So may little parts, and now so many little mistakes to touch up! LOL

I always want to paint the first phase as though the thing, whatever it may be, were brand new and right off the assembly line. Then, after I spend a lot of time making it as close to perfect as possible, I usually beat the c**p out of it to make it look weathered and worn. I'm not sure if it's an obsession, or just the right way to do it.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Weathered and worn is what makes it look a live and in theater. That grunge look of having been lived in . . . the lighting will add to the over all effect of being cool. But, the painting is the foundation of presenting something that will have mass/weight and give that illusion of science fiction that could "possibly happen" with AI in the near future.

Lookin smart, tight and things are poppin Brian.

My smell check editor likes to write Brain. Apologies for the spelling error on the last post. We can all agree your pretty smart fellow Brian.

• Profile Photo

Great work, Brian @brithebuilder
    I guess making it weathered and worn is an obsession to most of us.
    As said by Stephen, it will make it look much more realistic and alive.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looking superb so far, my friend @brithebuilder!
    Nothing wrong in painting a model like being brand new and then weather it, in fact, it sounds puristic!

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle, @johnb - I agree completely, I was more just commenting on my potentially unnecessary and OCD level need to make it 'new' before I made it 'old'. The most fun part of the process for me is weathering and adding the dirt and scratches that tell of a thousand years of battle. I've always just felt that since it was new at some point, I should paint it that way prior to adding the 'grunge'. It probably isn't necessary, but I feel I achieve a more realistic result. The lighting is just another element of the story it will tell.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros, I like the idea of my 'Modeler's OCD' being puristic!

• Profile Photo

I'm almost done with the base colors. One of the weapons still needs to have a glowing plasma effect painted... other than that it's mostly painted just a few small things like the windows on the chained closed cockpits and a few hoses.

I'll do the rest of the assembly before starting the washes to bring out the details and then as the washes build up it should really start to take on some character. Chipping and scratches will be fun... I almost forgot, I do have a couple bigger decals and quite a few little symbols of chaos to apply to the armor panels before weathering. I guess that's actually the next step then.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking wonderful, my friend @brithebuilder! And looks like a lot of fun building it!

• Profile Photo

Amazing paintwork, Brian @brithebuilder
    Also those 3d printed parts look great.

• Profile Photo

All base coats are finished and the first round of wash has been applied to all the body metals. It's just a black wash from Citadel called Nuln oil. Once I also hit a lot of the joints with Agrax Earthshade, it'll look really oily and worn.

The Volkite Weapon was fun to paint... it's supposed to be a heat gun essentially. Looks pretty warm I think.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The wash effects do look very nice, Brian @brithebuilder
    The heat gun is something special.

• Profile Photo

Looking really nice indeed, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John, the Volkite weapon turned out really well. Definitely a pop of color.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros. Much appreciated. It's getting close to the finish line. A bit of assembly this morning and then a lot of little chaos runes to hand paint before the final washes and weathering.