Sandtrooper riding a Dewback - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 85 · 1 year ago · Dewback, diorama, Sandtrooper, Sci-Fi, Star Wars, Stormtrooper, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks John @johnb I appreciate it. I was a bit concerned when assembling the legs and toes that there wouldn't be a way to get him to conform to the base itself, after I remembered this method works really well to 'fix' almost any kind of base, I stopped worrying.

Is there a 'standard' for the name/@name use?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@brithebuilder, there is not a 'standard' way to use it. just use it the way you prefer.
    I always try to include the '@name' so a mention is visible once that person has a look on the website.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb. I just don't want to offend anyone. The @name as a link is a cool feature. I just wasn't sure if most of the established modelers here preferred an actual name as well.

• Profile Photo

I went ahead and primed the body and base. It's really the only way to know if anything still needs work. I did go in and add more sand/glue to the base and primed again. I feel like the sand distribution is spot on now.

The scales at the leg seams are a bit crisp compared to the rest of the body though. I really don't think it will be an issue after it's painted, so... I could use some feedback on that one... is it worth the time? I'd only smooth the outer parts of the legs...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Wow, Brian (@brithebuilder). Your techniques to smooth the base and the added parts of the figure make everything look seamless. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @gblair. I think the base turned out great... I'm still second guessing myself on the leg seams. The original has a bit softer/wider gaps between scales and mine feels a little too crisp and narrow... I'm probably the only one who's going to notice since I did it, but... argh. I may have to go in with a small file and soften them a little or it's going to draw my eye to it forever.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking great from here, Brian @brithebuilder
    I'm not an expert in this genre, nor an expert in other things, but to me the scales at the seams will look perfectly fine once painted.

• Profile Photo

Yeah @johnb, I'm not an expert in anything myself. I do a lot of stuff pretty well, but expert always feels like a stretch. Regardless, opinions from other builders/modelers are always appreciated. I think you're right though, I actually attempted to get in there with a little file, it's not possible anymore anyway. They would have needed to be smoothed while the Apoxie Sculpt was still malleable.

Time to build the trooper!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I didn't notice, Brian (@brithebuilder). I suspect that you can soften the edges using paint and shadowing.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Hi, Brian @brithebuilder, it’s difficult for me to comment, I’ve never watched Starwars, and have no idea what this creature is supposed to look like, but I do admire your techniques and attention to detail. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, I agree, if it seems like an issue as I paint, I'll fix it then.

@chinesegeorge, the dewback was in Episode IV - A New Hope. I think it was on screen for less than a minute. I have a special fondness for it though... my best friend growing up had the action figure and we would play Star Wars a lot as kids (I was 7 when it released in '77), so as I was researching the Sandtrooper model kit from Bandai and I ran across this model from Stann Arts, it was only a matter of time. It may be given away as a B-Day present this coming summer.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 4 months ago:

So, I did actually go in with a rotary tool and a really fine/pointy bit and adjust the scales a bit. I feel better now.

I've also built up the Sandtrooper to get him to sit nicely on the saddle. It's funny, the rubberized super glue makes it feel almost painted.

My next question to anyone with an opinion... Stirrups?... I really think he needs stirrups but almost no reference images show them. If a Sandtrooper were going to fire a weapon from a mounted position though, they'd definitely need them.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Boy, does this bring back memories, Brian (@brithebuilder). The trooper looks great. Deep down in the recesses of my memory I seem to remember some scenes when you could see the stirrups. It would make sense that they would be there. I'm thinking the same as you...if the trooper was doing anything other than a Sunday drive on this beast, they would need stirrups.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Right @gblair, same for me. Something about Star Wars in general brings back the joy of being a kid.

I completely agree about the stirrups, the more I think about it, the more it just makes sense and looks odd without them. It really shouldn't be too difficult to create a set.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

The trooper looks great on, my friend @brithebuilder! Indeed, the stirrups should probably be there, also having no clue of how they would look...