Sandtrooper riding a Dewback - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 85 · 1 year ago · Dewback, diorama, Sandtrooper, Sci-Fi, Star Wars, Stormtrooper, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@stephen-w-towle - I'm hoping that the Agrax Earthshade from Citadel will enhance the recesses between the scales. I'll add Nuln oil as necessary as well. Both are great shade paints. Some beautiful reference images you attached as well. I really like the reds and yellows in the first one. Collecting reference images before the Internet was so challenging. So much time in the library making color copies that you had to pay for. My Graphic Design instructor back then made us do at least 50 thumb nail sketches for every design project. I always shorted that process, some of my classmates would do even more. They ended up being far better designers. I found 3D.

@gblair - I do love Photoshop. I've actually been using since it was introduced in 1988. I was in college for Fine Art and Graphic Design. The technology was no where near where we are now. It's funny, I suggest to my students all the time that they use the tools as Stephen suggested I do and I want to skip steps as well. We always tell them the time you spend in pre-production saves a lot more during production.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 4 months ago:

" My Graphic Design instructor back then made us do at least 50 thumb nail sketches for every design project. I always shorted that process, some of my classmates would do even more. They ended up being far better designers. I found 3D."

We all have our gifts and talents, its finding them and applying them and then getting paid that counts.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle - Absolutely!

Dewback progress! I think it's looking really nice. I'm going to do a bit of light dry brushing to help bring out the texture of the scales, but I really do like how the shade deepened the colors. It feels a lot like the Photoshop version.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Little dry brushing accomplished. I think the body is done. On to the leathers. They eye is going to be a small challenge being the window to the soul and all. Fortunately lizard eyes aren't too complex and a nice gloss coat after and they should look very nice.

• Profile Photo

That second photo . . . is the jumping off point, the match gets lit and the fire starts to burn. Things take off. Looks exciting Brian. I'd keep on using those photos as reference. So you can say "It alive, its alive" something like that. 😉

Happy Holidays

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Wow! Looks fantastic, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Amazing result, Brian @brithebuilder
    Having the Photoshop and final result pictures together, it is hard to tell which is the real one.
    Your painting skills are super.
    Merry Christmas

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle - Thanks again for the nudge to do some concept work to begin with. I'm actually super excited by the way it's turning out. I think the eyes will definitely bring it to life. Mennenoh's monster doesn't have a great ring to it though... I'll probably say it anyway now as I run through my house with an insane grin.

@fiveten - Much appreciated!

@johnb - Thanks, also appreciated! The photoshop part definitely helped the process. I was able to try a couple things that I didn't like without any issue of needing to repaint. Merry Christmas to you as well!

• Profile Photo

Painting is essentially complete. The only thing is the metallic ends of the prod pole and the bits where the reigns attach and then final weathering of the Sand Trooper himself.

I am incredibly happy with the way the Dewback's eyes turned out. They really brought him to life.

I was quite hesitant to do the blue vents on the troopers helmet. There's 12 lines on one side and only 11 on the other, I doubt anyone will notice, but it makes him unique. He's not attached to the saddle yet, I still have to figure out how I'm going to attach the stirrups. It's close though, it's close.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those eyes do indeed look very realistic, Brian @brithebuider
    The close-up could have been taken from a living lizzard.
    Stormtrooper looks beautiful as well.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thank you! You are very kind indeed!

I've been waiting on a new bottle of Agrax Earthshade from Citadel to arrive so I can finish the weathering on the trooper, should be here today. While I'm waiting I realized/decided that there really isn't any reason that I can't get everything glued onto the Dewback. So, here's the almost finished shots... His blaster is from a Bandai kit and the holster is custom made to fit it. Just seemed wrong that he wouldn't have it somewhere. It is standard issue for a Sand Trooper. I'm really looking forward to getting the final weathering done. This has been such an amazing project and so cool to be posting the WIP shots here. This is an amazing community!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The eye's have it. It's really exciting to see most of the gear on the Dewback and the storm trooper sitting on top. A little wear and tear on the trooper and you can your really have something to be proud about Brian. Now you can make a small caravan . . .two more kits representing a patrol. Each Dewback a little different with troopers holding different poses. 😉 Pulling your chain on that one. The second photo from the left really stands out to me. The sculpting of the Dewback is convincing with regards to musculature and it looks like the legs are supporting the animal. The painting and the eyes really make things come alive. Add a little drool around the mouth and fluid around the nose . . . I've been around too many cows. But, an elephant sized animal that's breathing moisture would have something coming from the nose. More toilet paper. . . over all Brian a cool build.

One more roll of toilet paper (thought ) your Dewback's feet the nails. Paint the nails a dark gray. Looking at your Iguana with it claws . . . now scale up a reptile to a elephant sized animal. The darker color will help ground the animal and make appear to anchor everything to the base. Even the ground underneath the feet could be darker to better represent the distribution of weight put on the soil.
    Esoteric comments but, the details count and add to the cool factor.

• Profile Photo

Those saddle bags and all the other equipment does really do justice, Brian @brithebuilder
    Really great already even with the weathering not entirely finished.
    Love the ideas of Stephen @stephen-w-towle to add some drool and moistere effects around the nose.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle - Fantastic suggestions. I've gone and added the dark grey to the nails with a bit of red to tie it into the body. I have also added gloss to both the lips and the nostrils. It does make it even more realistic. I do have to say the toilet paper reference was throwing me off, but it makes sense now. It made me laugh out loud when you made the connection for me. I darkened the entire base with Agrax earthshade, I was thinking of keeping it around the feet and under the body mainly but it enhanced all the cracks and crevices so well, I added it everywhere. I'm going to go back and do a bit of drybrushing to lighten it up a little before adding my 'weathering powders'. (I grind conte crayons on sandpaper to make my own) Details are everything at small scale.

@johnb - Thanks, this has definitely been one of the coolest and most enjoyable builds I've ever done.

I think the shade on the base is dry... I'm drybrushing and powdering and I'll post the finished pics... if anything is ever really finished.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Indeed, looking amazing,my friend @brithebuilder!