1/35 Tamiya ”Kursk” Panther D Sd. kfz. 171

Started by Louis Gardner · 40 · 6 years ago · 1/35, Kursk, Panther, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

This is one a started a while back and stumbled...

I just ran out of steam. My fault not the kit. From what I have done so far, I feel the kit is really a great one.

I have built and painted all of the road wheels

and running gear.

The chassis has been built and painted.

I used "Bare Metal Foil"

to replicate the worn off paint on the edges of the steel road wheels where the track center guides rub against the wheels.

This was a common sight on Panther's.

As usual, comments are encouraged !

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Ha !
    I was 'this close' to doing this one too !

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Not really into armor Louis but this is looking good so far !

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 10 months ago:

That's a very good start. Great idea with the bare metal foil!

• Profile Photo

Ian, you can still build a Tamiya Panther in the GB if you wish. It won't bother me one bit if you do. The more the better...

Thanks Alan ! I appreciate the compliment my friend.

Ferry, it was an idea I randomly came up with and gave it a try. It looks pretty convincing, but the foil didn't want to stick in some places. I had to piece it together, but I don't think it will be too noticeable once it's done. Thanks my friend for the compliments.

• Profile Photo

Yesterday I managed to get the individual track links assembled for the Panther. I bought the Tamiya individual track set, photo etched grills and the turned aluminum barrel / gun upgrades for this build.

The tracks went together fairly quickly once I got the hang of it. They simply snap together.

Today I finished building the hull. It really doesn't take too long since I already had the majority of the chassis work done.

Once the hull was completed I gave it a coat of Model Master #2095 "Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943".

The road wheels were already painted so this step was a breeze.

Here's a few pictures of the hull showing the different angles of the hull.

Side views

Rear glasis plate and mufflers

Front slope

Upper rear deck showing the photo etched fan and grill covers

Once I had this done I sprayed the interior of the hull in "1939-43 Panzer Schwarzgrau" again using Model Master enamel. Bottle part number is 2094.

I didn't want to be able to see the tan colored plastic that is visible through the hatches when they were open. So I picked the color of the hull interior on the real Panthers and sprayed it.

So if someone should happen to look really close inside the tank this is what they might catch a tiny glimpse of.

This kit is a dream to build ! I whole heartedly recommend this one to anyone.

Calling it a day. As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for reading along.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Looking even more good Louis.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan !

I managed to get the turret completed.

Here's a few pictures of the interior of the turret. I painted it in a cream colored paint called Panzer Buff.

Here's how the exterior of the turret looks after I sprayed it in Panzer Yellow to match the hull.

• Profile Photo

Then I'll had to set the turret on the hull to see how it looks as a unit. I took the side skirts off for the next 3 photos. It's easy to do since I never glued them on permanently. The fit of the parts is very nice. I'll put them back on since I have built this Panther with both the upper and lower front fenders installed. Normally the lower section would be damaged first. Since I glued the front fenders on I'll install the side skirts on too. This one will be built up as a newer tank that has not been damaged yet.

Here's a few pictures of the tank after it was assembled with the turret and the side skirts in place.

Calling it a day. This one is really starting to look more like a Panther now. This kit really builds up nicely.

• Profile Photo

Really cracking along Louis. Not near the start with mine yet because my P-47 is hogging the bench !

Ian.

• Profile Photo

Tonight I painted the green and brown camouflage...

Here's the Panther after the green was sprayed on.

and then the brown.

This is how it looks right now.

Time for decals, the OVM tools and then some "dirtying" up.

Enjoy !

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments Ian. Your Thunderbolt is amazing !

• Profile Photo

Incredibly neat camo, Louis. Going to look superb under some weathering - Just remember the engagements around Kursk were in the summer, so more dust than mud, matey !

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Very Nice Panther Louis, following this thread with great interest.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Lovely, lovely piece of hardware, Louis. But where's the propellor?
    Great paint job with a real sense of authentic menace in the build.