1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.IB

Started by Tom Bebout · 55 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

The British Light Dragoons fired on their own side at Waterloo. Typhoons famously wrecked some British shipping near Le Havre. The first planes shot down by Spitfires in WW2? Said to be Hurricanes thought to be 109s. And many on here will know much better than I do the stats on friendly fire...

Great work on the Tiffie, Tom! As ever, I am loving the learning gains I get from your builds - thank you so much!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Paul, the old fog of war. Blue on blue, they call it, lately. Just as sad.

• Profile Photo

Tom, great looking paint job on the uppers. I'm sure the underside will be equally well done.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years ago:

Ran some Future/Pledge over the Tiffy last evening and started the decal applications. For an old kit with original decals they seem to be going down quite well.

Had a little silvering on left side with the US letters but with a couple coats of Micro Sol it disappeared. There are 18 separate black stripe decals to apply for the invasion stripes. So this could be real interesting: stand by folks.

• Profile Photo

Tom, first rate paint job!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 12 months ago:

US*A looking brilliant on the side of the Tiffie Tom - and that beautiful interior work is standing out wonderfully well against the camo. Very sharp indeed - can't wait to see the next instalment of this wonderful build!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Finally got some bench time to work on the Tiffy. Life at times keeps one away from one's hobby. However, since my wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery, I get to play house Frau and hopefully model builder for several days. Finished the black invasion stripes, some wanted to adhere some didn't, so I have a combination of black paint as well as decals representing the stripes.

After covering all the decals with Future/Pledge I did outline the panels with a Pitt Pin. Then I covered her with Model Master dull coat and much to my dismay the upper roundels all wrinkled. So, I removed them using painters tape and replaced them with some from my decal stash. Next was to get her gear attached and I placed the prop on her for pics only. The hard part to come is the painting of the three part canopy because I'm showing her with the door open. Not sure whose dumb idea that was because it's a lot of extra work. Oh wait that was my idea. One thing I would have changed during the construction was the way I attached parts J1 and J2. I attached the fuselage first then glued the above parts to the fuselage. In retrospect I believe the fit would be better if you glue them to the fuselage first then glue the the fuselage halves together. I'm sure you would get better fit and alignment that way. So it's on to the canopy then some fiddly little pieces and this baby is in the can.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Not sure whose dumb idea that was because it’s a lot of extra work. Oh wait that was my idea.

Thomas, Thomas...you sound like me talking to myself.

I've been grossly negligent in following this thread, but you will forgive me because of the general upheaval at the end of the semester. Things are calmer now, so that's a plus. Beautiful work (as usual) on one of my all-time favorites.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Good to see the "save" Tom. This is now looking totally first-rate, maybe your best yet. I like it!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Tom, thanks for the advice on closing up the cockpit. Multiple parts can cause multiple problems. That said, I'd want the car door open, myself. The carbon monoxide generated by engine running(!) meant the pilot was on oxygen while on the ground. Read that someplace.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Looks great Tom ! Good save on the decal removals. I'll try to remember what you did for the next time it happens during one of my builds. I have to admit it, but I was one of the ones urging you to pose the door open... Once this is all done you will be glad you did too.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Houston we have liftoff! While mommy slept in her CMP machine for the knee I made a mad dash towards the finish line. Got all the little fiddly pieces on and then attached the canopy, the door, and used some pastel chalks for the exhause stains.

BTY, that bubble on top of the canopy is a separate piece. Used Future/Pledge to attach it, seemed to work. Word of caution, this is not an easy kit especially if you want the door opened. But sucks, wouldn't any decent modeler want to complete it that way? It helps if you drink some Kentucky bourbon along the way, Just sayin. I'll post more pics at the reveal.

• Profile Photo

Firstly Tom, best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery - my father-in-law had a knee replacement and moved very well afterwards.

Thank goodness it was only the upper roundels - I think the watching crowd would have mourned the loss of US*A! Great recovery, anyway! Anyway, she's looking great after the dull-coat, and the door open option is exactly the right choice given your exemplary ability with interiors!

• Profile Photo

Wow, I was typing that previous comment as you posted! This is absolutely wonderful. As far back as your perfectly hand-painted IP it was clear that this was going to be one of the stars of the show! Looking back at the photo of this aircraft that Louis posted, you have really nailed the 'look' too - I think the fine lining of the panels has really made sure of that - along with the subtle weathering (the exhaust stacks look spot on). And of course, you took on the car door and won! That feature is such a unique part of the Tiffie, that you really had no option but to do it, however challenging - and the outcome speaks for itself!

What I also love about your builds Tom, is the feeling of pace and purpose with which you set about them - no issue is insurmountable and you produce excellence consistently! Congratulations on a cracking build - a real tribute to RAF100! More power to the Kentucky Bourbon!