RAF 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIF 61053

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 95 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Landing gear tutorial appreciated, Chuck - my next wheels will be all the better for this - thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Paul, like anything else practice practice practice. And not early in the morning while drinking coffee. Better in the afternoon when the caffeine doesn't affect your fingers as much with the shaking.

• Profile Photo

Before getting to the nose, I started working on cleaning up some the seamwork on the wing roots, the center seam on the fuselage and around the nose itself.

Using Tamiya grey putty, the 3 step sanding process starting with wet/dry 320 grit.to cut down and smooth out the dried putty. Next 400 to get the rough texture down to the plastic. And then 600 to smooth and polish the area of the putty work.

Now then to go over any areas that a little more filler to even out the seamwork. Eliminate any steps before applying some primer.

It was about this time my Fuji camera battery died. And for some reason it would no longer hold a charge, so off to Ebay and bought 2 batteries {NP50) to replace the old ones. In the meantime. I installed the thimble nose, none of the decal schemes in the kit is a thimble variant, yet Tamiya has the nose in the kit to make this unusual version of the Beaufighter.

Next is to install the pilots seat and then the rear blister.

Despite the ongoing and felt it took this long to build it. But I spread it out a bit, but the actual build from cockpit to this point was over the weekend. This plane just builds rather quickly once you get past the interior. One of the quickest builds for a multi-engine aircraft I can remember. I spent more time waiting for stuff than the actual build.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo

Impressive stuff, Chuck! Thanks for sanding details. It’s great to see how others work. I have used Mr Surfacer but I am thinking of going back to good old putty!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, Mr Surfacer may come in handy after the heavy sanding and use to fill in some slight imperfections over the major work.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The Beaufighter is looking better each time I see it posted online ... That seat belt harness looks especially nice... You will be spraying some color on it soon... 🙂

Every time I look at this build it really tempts me to drag out one of my Tamiya kits next, either a Mosquito or another Beaufighter like yours. I like the different nose you installed on your kit Chuck. I didn't know it was supplied in the kit.

Glad to hear that you got the battery situation handled. It's great to see you posting again.

Cool !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Some serious clean up work for you there, Chuck, and I’m looking forward to every photo. I loved your ‘Dinah’ (boy, you nailed the colour scheme on that one) and I’m really enjoying seeing your work on this brute. Never been a Beaufighter fan (especially with THAT nose) but this is an exceptional WiP.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, the belts I place at random and hope that they look as they should with out an exact placement when unfastened after a flight. Unlike our cars of today that they retract in place every time you take them off. Tamiya supplies the "thimble" nose in this kit. And yes it is good to get the camera back working again. thanks for asking.

• Profile Photo

Thx DL, it is more me not being careful, not the kit. Yes you can in many ways make mistakes on a very good kit. The Tam Beau is a joy. The work is of my own making not the kit. So you can screw up if not being more diligent. Thanks on the Dinah that kit also went well. I am amazed how quickly the Beau goes together.

• Profile Photo

This step will be masking off the clear parts. Using Eduard's masking set for the Beaufighter. Made up of a flexible yellow masking material which looks and feels similar to Tamiya's masking tape pre cut into different sections for the kit.

1st I will start with the observers blister on the spine. Several parts off the set will be used to cover up the blister. Any overlap after the process is completed will be trimmed off with a sharp x-acto blade.

Next is the cockpit windows and hatch. Again following the directions each piece are applied over the selected panel on the canopy and hatch. I usually start with the center panel. Each pre cut section are very close to perfectly sized for each panel. So care and patience is highly advised when applying each panel.

Next is the lamps located on the LH or port wing leading edge. 1st the background is painted black and the lenses are then painted with chrome. Once dry the lens is placed over the lamps. Then finally the final bits of masking are applied.

Next up is to start some detail painting. Almost done. More to follow.

• Profile Photo

Masking clear parts is not my favorite thing to do... You have crossed that hurdle.

Looking forward to seeing some paint sprayed on it. 🙂

• Profile Photo

I agree - masking is a necessary evil - glad it is over for you and the next developments can unfold - great job, Chuck!

• Profile Photo

Your both correct, masking for me is the one step I do not care to do. Tedious, annoying at times. Frustrating and for me it takes some time for the process to complete. And yikes, we just had a quake. 4.4 Rock n Roll in socal...havent felt one of those for awhile. This is a minor, anything at 5-6 is moderate and damaging. Beyond that it is major. Life in LA

• Profile Photo

Wow Chuck,
    I just read this posting... 4.4 quake ! I remember watching the World Series when that one hit during the game in the late 1980's (or early '90s). Granted it was a much larger one than a 4.4, but that's something I'd never want to experience in person. I've been through some hurricanes, a few tornadoes, and have nearly been struck by lightning twice, but I never want to experience an earthquake...

• Profile Photo

Louis: growing up in So. Cal in the 60's, it was like one big major quake in the LA basin 5.0, or larger was like at least one in a decade. The first one for me that seemed significant was the Sylmar quake in Feb 1971, that was 6.6 on the richter with a 5.8 aftershock with some moderate ones thru the 70's. in the 80's we had the Whittier narrows quake that was a 5.9 shaker which took place in Oct. 1987. But the one everyone in America remembers is the Northridge quake in 1994 which was 7.2 The scary part is since that quake, The LA basin has not had one since. 2000-to date we have not felt any significant quake except for this last one and a 5.1 in La Habra in 2014. Everyday there are micro quakes 1.0 or less in magnitude that no one feels only the sensors. So we are long past due for a major.