RAF 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIF 61053

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 95 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Kudos, Chuck, this is a special build.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks DL it is one of the most enjoyable builds I have worked on. Simple and easy to assemble despite the details. Well engineered kit from Tamiya.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Decal time. I used a sheet from AML, never used them before so a first time for me. They do look good and thin.

I started with the top wings and applied the upper Red/Blue roundels in their position on the wings. Decals settled nicely.

Then starting with the LH side of the fuselage and worked my way from back to front.
    Fin flash to the minor nose art on the LH side of the nose.

Now to the RH side again from tail to nose.

No stenciling on this at all.  The decals worked perfect with the Microset/Micro Sol solutions.  Conformed as expected.  Overall a fun process.   I recommend AML decals for their performance and ease of applying them.    

Next up a little weathering and the final Satin finish coat. More to follow. The next step will be the final one for the Beaufighter.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The final step will be permanently install the landing gear, gear bay doors and the final bits under the airframe.

First the antenna mounted under the Left wing.

Tam also supplies a pair of what I am going to assume to be drain tubes mounted at the back end of the engine nacelles.

Next up attaching the gear bay doors. Bravo to Tamiya for a positive attaching points for the doors. A snap on this kit.

Finally the porcupine exhaust manifolds are attached.

Last but not least push in the props and she is finished.

3 down 1 to go.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That is absolutely spectacular Chuck! A real beauty. A nice size judging by the shot in the vice. Can’t wait to see all 4 next to each other! Thanks again for being a star of the GB!