Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

While doing some research on the 617 Lancaster's, and also while going over the upper surfaces, I noticed the turret blank filler in photos was a bit more prominent than how Tamiya represented the blanking plate in the kit. Or more like me not being more careful when installing it as it was a little sunken then it should have been. So I pondered what I could do. As I am working the nacelles, you know you get those credit card offers in the mail like a couple of them a week, and some at times will have a made up credit card but a much thinner form made of styrene plastic not a normal daily use CC. So breaking out my Draftsman kit, using a drafting compass to draw a circle on the blank side of the card stock.

Once the circle was drawn, it was time to cut it out with scissors.

Once I had it cut out. I place on the fuselage and formed it to conform to the shape and contour of the upper fuselage section.

A test fit and then to sand the area away a bit. So it would bite into plastic not paint when I attached the plate.

A little cyno cement and place the disc in it's place and let it sit for a bit. Then some Tenax around the edge of the plate to seal it. I hope.

I hope this is not too prominent. Though I think it will be better than it was. It was going to be difficult get a perfect circle if I tried to build it up with putty. Well next up. More primer before we start laying the paint scheme. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

That's brilliant innovation Chuck, and a great eye for accuracy and detail! It is is clear that you really have the 'bit between your teeth' for this build - not just a recovery - you are knocking it out of the park!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Agree with Paul, it's great to see you not 'settle' on this build and taking the detail really seriously. It's great to find 'saves' like this and even better for us that you share them.

Thanks, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work Chuck !
    You will be happy knowing that you didn't settle.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next installment... Getting closer to spraying on some camouflage paint !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Over the top I airbrushed a Grey Primer. This portion I will apply the Dk Earth/Dk Green tutone first. Which is opposite when I build, normally I would apply the undersurface color first. But it would be much easier to shoot the top first. I had installed the nose turret and the filler/nose panel that is located right behind the turret.

Then masked off the turret before apply the Grey.

Then just applied the grey over the top and also the wings and tail. Next up will to attach some detail bits before postshading..

More to follow.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Seeing the nacelles in situ is just a testament to the job you have done - the grey primer is showing up zero imperfections! Phenomenal!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

This session I have already pre-shaded the upper surfaces of the air frame.

Next I added the detail bits on the tail and wings. Aileron actuators on the wings, the mass balance on the tail stabs.

Usually I wait towards the end of the build to attach these items, as you tend to knock them off with handling of the model. But with just painting and decaling the next steps, I will chance it.

And I promptly knocked the mass balance off the LH rear stab and it's history. Next are the 8 intake scoops on each side of the nacelles.

Finally the cooling scoops under each inboard section of the wings.

Now it's time to paint, yay! More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

She is looking just brilliant now Chuck! Can't wait to see the paint go on! The pre-shading is great - the first photo of this update has got me really excited!

On another note it was interesting to see 617 took delivery of 4 of these this week! Still a very significant squadron! I saw there is a KittyHawk kit to make one - have to admit I was tempted in the name of RAF100!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, yes modern 5th gen F-35 now in service with the RAF. Makes the Typhoon look even older than it really is.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck; I love the thread, your eye for detail is superb, the prep work is fantastic, and your fidelity to the original subject is laudable. But man, you have to let me come over there and tidy that bench. It's giving me palpitations every time I see it!

Anyway, wonderful work, Chuck. Desk aside...

• Profile Photo

It's an organized mess. Trust me I know where everything is. Though the Lanc is incredibly large and does take up a lot of room. So glad I have the wings loose as well as the tails for handling. In fact I will leave it this way when completed as I do expect to move in a couple of years to a more permanent and much larger home. Then I will probably permanently attach the wings and tails.

• Profile Photo

No criticism implied, Chuck; other than a self directed swipe at my slight obsession for tidiness. Funny how your desk looks like that yet your Lanc is immaculate, I sometimes have the complete opposite where my bench is cleaner than an operating table but the build is a mess. Lots of ways to skin a cat, I guess.

Love your forward thinking on the wings. My inability to delay gratification would see me glue the wings, then spend countless hours and cash on making a jig for holding the Lanc during the move.

Just love watching this build, Chuck, and really looking forward to seeing her dressed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

That Lancaster is really looking nice Chuck, your progress as well as attention to detail is outstanding. Now about the work area; looks very similar to mine I'll have to say. Starts out clean but never finishes that way. Some how it works out.

• Profile Photo

The desk question is interesting, Tom. As much as people (usually organisational psychologists) will say a desk says a lot about the person, it's rubbish. There are few, if any, correlates between a workspace and personality. I think it's a matter of traits; you can take one look at Chuck's Lanc and its pristine presentation is utterly at odds with where it came from. It shows the truth in what Chuck says, "I know absolutely where everything is".

My bench is one of the places in the world where I'm happiest and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. It's not so much a workspace as a mindset. Which makes my opening comment about psychologists being spectacularly bad at 'reading' people from their desks even more interesting.

Weird. But then, we are.

• Profile Photo

Good day, the clutter is during a work session on several models. I take images before and after a step or for clarity for the most part during the build. But at the end of the day. I put everything back in it's place for the next time. So I do some housecleaning so to speak when I button things up for the day.