1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-3 Dauntless, USS Enterprise VB-6, flown by Lt. Cmdr. Richard Best

Started by Louis Gardner · 82 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Accurate Miniatures, Dauntless, Douglas, Midway Group Build, SBD
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Here's the pictures that I mentioned in my last post. The parts have dried and detailed painting can begin.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Today I was determined to get what I hope is correct information on the field installed twin .030 caliber rear firing weapons for this Midway SBD. So I spent a lot of time online and searching through my books.

Here's what I found. Most of the answers were found in my book called "SBD Dauntless in Action" by Squadron. These pictures were studied and as I was on line I checked out various restored SBD's. They all seem to match.

Here's how the single rear facing .030 caliber weapon was installed on the SBD-2 and original equipment on early dash 3's.

This illustration shows how they were field modified to carry twin .030's.

Next followed by the standard installation found on late model SBD dash 3's.

This picture shows all together and a nice picture showing the rear gunners position with twin .030's.

A few pages over in the book shows this photo of a SBD during the Midway battle.

This is the same picture after I zoomed in on it. You can see the sliding doors are open.

With this information in hand, and knowing that Accurate Miniatures offered different plastic sprues for the SBD, I searched through the several AM boxing's of the SBD kits I have on hand. I found a sprue that has the proper twin .030 guns and sliding fuselage panels. These pictures shows the two different AM fuselage sprues.

This photo is zoomed in on the single .030 plastic tree. This is correct for the early dash three's prior to Midway. It also shows the earlier raised air intake that was on the top of the cowling.

and the correct twin .030 plastic tree for a Midway build... which also has the smaller air intake. It's part number #283.

In this photo you can see the difference in the rear of the fuselage where the rear cockpit has the sliding panels. This one is for the later field modified Dash 3 versions.

This is the correct fuselage I needed for the Midway SBD (to the best of my knowledge).

There's also a small difference on one of the fuselage bulk heads. This one has a more vertical shape to it and is much thinner near the pilots head rest area. I think this is where the armor plating for the pilot was mounted.

This last picture shows how much wider the panel is behind the pilots head rest and seat area. This is correct for a Midway SBD.

The last picture shows the instrument panel after it was sprayed with interior green. The clear spot in the center is where I was holding the part with tweezers. This part is molded in clear plastic.

I accidentally mixed up more Model Master "Interior Green" than I actually needed. I didn't want to waste the paint. So I sprayed it out on a very old original boxing of the Monogram TBD Devastator that I picked up at a swap meet years ago. Now I might be a biting off more than I can chew, but I may have just started another "Midway" group build...

The Monogram TBD. Now I just have to decide on what markings to use...

• Profile Photo

Tonight's progress has been very productive. Here's a few pictures.

I painted all of the details of the cockpit interior sidewalls.

and started work on the cockpit floor...

followed by pre painting of the instrument panel and radio set.

Then I gave everything a light wash of Windsor and Newton "Lamp Black" oil that was mostly thinned down.

The fuselage halves were then glued together...

I tried to get some interior pictures, but they didn't turn out so well. These photos really don't do the model any justice. The light oil wash really made all of the tiny details pop.

I also made some progress on the Monogram TBD Devastator... If time permits I'll post up some progress photos there as well.

Enjoy !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Looks like ti's coming right along. I had my doubts about some of their painting instructions for the cockpit sidewalls. I've got the Detail and Scale to refer to.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments Bernard.

I went to the US Naval Aviation Museum's website for cockpit details. They have a very neat set up that has a "virtual" 360 degree camera placed in numerous planes. As luck would have it, one of these planes is a SBD-2, bureau number 02106. It was a survivor of the Pearl Harbor attack and actually participated in the Battle of Midway.

They have both the pilot's position and the gunner's position available for viewing. I know the plane has been restored, but they have very high quality standards in all of their restorations.

Here's a link :

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam/virtualtour/?s=pano730

If you go to the top right corner there is a tab where you can change over to the gunners position. You have to scroll way down to almost the bottom. While you're there you can check out other planes on display, such as the F4U, F6F and F4F. These planes have a virtual cockpit too. That's just a tip of the iceberg so to say... Very cool website.

• Profile Photo

Tonight as the old Monogram Devastator was drying, I made some progress with the cockpit. Step two is now done.

The cockpit floor and instrument panel.

Here's a picture:

The Windsor and Newton "oil colour" works wonders. The light oil wash really made this assembly pop.

Hopefully it will not be too much longer Rick and you can see your spinner again. The next time you get to see your old spinner, I hope that it's mounted on the kits propeller ...

Time will tell and thanks again for sending it to me.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Louis That SDB cockpit looks really great . Keep the awesome work going 🙂

Brian

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Louis, you've made the detail in the cockpit really pop.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. It's starting to look like a plane.

Here's what I got finished with the Dauntless today.

I cut out the seat belts from the decal sheet. Then I glued them in place using CA glue.

Once that was done I installed the pilot's bulkhead after the seat was glued to it.

The radio was installed:

As was the upper decking behind the pilot

The next step was to drill out the lightening holes on the rear gunners ring.

I did the drilling while the part was still on the tree. This picture shows how much of a difference it was. Honestly though it's kind of hard to see this once it was installed...

I used a number 74 drill bit to open the holes up.

Here's the gunners seat after it was completed.

These next pictures show the cockpit and rear gunner's seat installed.

These last two pictures show where the model is at right now. I just finished gluing on the lower half of the wing.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Great attention to detail on the gunners ring. I noticed that there are two what look like pads at the rear of the ring, which I suspect are a padded cushion for the gunners back, like on the TBD mount. That kinda makes sense. As a guess, I'd suspect they are leather covered padding, and ought to be painted black or brown.

Acc Min (as I mentioned before) seemed to believe you paint the whole interior except the instrument panel interior green, with little to NO differentiation. It ain't that easy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the virtual cockpit link from the Navy Air Museum. Amazing stuff! I can remember when there was NOTHING except the odd article in Model Airplane News or American Modeler, both of which were for flying model folks, or Superscale, down in Texas, or Len Morgans books on the P-51, etc. They had the operating manual excerpted for the type covered.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments on my Dauntless. Here's a few pictures of the gunner's ring from the SBD at Pensacola. I went online to the US Naval Aviation Museum website and took these pictures with my phone. The NAM is a great website that has a ton of information about these planes. These pictures wouldn't have been possible without the virtual cockpit feature on their website.

This should help to answer your questions about the ring mount Bernard.

If you look closely at the padded areas they appear to be a molded foam or rubber material that is interior green in color. I don't know if these pads were covered with a vinyl or if they were solid molded but they're definitely green. It also looks like the seat has a black colored cushion. At some time this rear seat was modified to include a back rest support. It is inside the padded ring and connects to the seat bottom.

I just had to add this amazing picture seen from the rear gunner's point of view. It's probably as close as most of us will get to experience what it might have been like ...

The internet is amazing.

• Profile Photo

Might be bakelite, early plastic product. It's what the Spitfire seat is made, the non metal one that is reddish. Thanks, learned something today. Always a good thing.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Louis, I bulit SBD-5 in 2010 - it was ACC re-packed by Italeri.
    I would like to inspire you a bit.
    This is finished Dauntless.
    http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49298

• some pictures from cockpit.

It was hard build mainly due to flaps implementation, but it got the kit to completely new level.
    I used also positive nitting by HGW, but this was pure masochism that I would not repeat any more, however the effect was stunning.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow Martin ! I checked out your website photos and it is an amazing build !

I can say that you have inspired me... but mine will not turn out as nicely as your has. The photo etched parts and resin bits push your build over the top. Fantastic is what I would call it...

Thanks for providing the cockpit and rear twin .030 caliber pictures. I need to add a few more details the center tray just behind the pilot seat after looking at your pictures. This area was not well depicted in my build so far.

Thanks again my friend.