1/48 Hasegawa Aichi D3A1 Type 99 Model 11 ”VAL” (14 posts)

  • Pulled this one off the shelf and found a pic of a Val flown off the IJN carrier Junyo that participated in the attack on Dutch Harbor. Kit detail looks good but will have to acquire some IJN seat harness as none are provided in the kit. Cockpit can be positioned open or closed. The A/C I want to do was subsequently shot down by a P-40, which fits with the Aleutian Tiger P-40 I did for the Midway build.

    7 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • How cool is that????? Being able to find a photo of a plane that would tie into one of your other builds. Plus you had one in your collection that needed building.

    The Val is a great choice for this Midway Group Build. Thanks for starting another one and please keep us posted. I will anxiously be watching for updates.

    Happy Easter my friend!!!

  • Good choice, I do have a Fujimi Val on the back burner, with 3 already in progress, it will depend how quick I am going along to start on this one. Otherwise yours will fill that hole. Looking forward to your progress.

  • Finally got to do some work on the Val. This kit is all cockpit with lots of little parts that slows progress. After you get the office done the rest looks rather easy. Liberated some decal belts from a Gekko Type 11 kit I have in the stash. Third time I’ve done that which means I’m really short of decals when it comes time to build her. Painted the radial engine in steel as the instructions state then applied a little wash to show some detail. Hope to get more done today.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • I remember when I built my “Val” kit. Just like you said, once you got the cockpit done, it seemed like the rest of the kit went together pretty quickly.

    You’re doing a fine job with this one. Thanks for posting your progress updates. The round ammunition drums and instrument panels look very realistic.

  • Little more work this evening on the Val. Fuselage closed up, wings attached, wheels painted and the underside painted in grey/green.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Moving right along!!!! Looks great my friend. The D3A is really a nice looking plane. It has some nice looking lines to it. The pale green finish is really slick. Outstanding Sir !!!

    Thanks for the updates.

  • Got the green done. added the wheels, tail hook and have started the decals. The kit decals are laying down really well

    1 attached image.

  • Used Tamiya TS-9 British Green from a rattle can for the top surface. There was so much of a glossy sheen that no Future was used before applying the current decals. However, I will seal the decals with Future before applying the top coat. The dreaded masking of the open canopy parts will come next after all the decals are set.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Your D3A is really looking great !!!! The green looks flawless. It’s amazing how smooth the finish is. I’ve had problems with some Hasegawa decals in the past with them not wanting to lay down just right. You seem to be doing a fantastic job with them too.

    Did you spray on the yellow fuselage stripe that designated the IJN carrier Junyo or was it a decal ???

    Hopefully the canopy masking job isn’t too difficult. I remember that it seemed to be the hardest part of the building when I did my Val. Good luck with this and please keep us posted with the progress Tom.

  • This one is in the can. Can’t imagine anyone doing this model in 1/72 because of all the glass. Masking canopy’s is not one the things I enjoy doing. Need to add an antenna wire and will reveal more on Midway Day. Markings are not totally accurate but it represents a Val used in a bombing raid on Dutch Harbor. Subsequently shot down by a P-40.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge

  • Tom, really turned out well, the paint is flawless.

  • I agree with Bernard. It looks great !!!! I can’t wait to see more pictures of this one during the reveal. Excellent work Tom. Thanks again buddy.

  • Looks good! One of the advantages of brush painting is I can do “green house” canopies in multiple masking passes – once for each direction of ribbing! I’ve found it less stressful and demanding less precision than when I have to mask all the panes (as when I use rattle can, which I do occasionally for single-color finishes).