1:48 Scale, Great Wall, TBD-1 ”Devastator”

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 39 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I know the feeling, my nephew Braxton is in the Army with an artillery unit. A combat unit, proud of him though I keep reminding him to keep both hands on his weapon when he whips out his cellphone to record some of his Army evolutions, fascinating stuff. I wonder if we had that technology when I was serving, though I did take my camera with me everywhere. My son Alex is in the Air Force also, currently stationed So Carolina, always praying to my dear Lord to keep them safe.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 2 months ago:

That TBD is looking great, coming along quite well I see. Any issues with the kit?

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Louis. I have done that myself. "Now what am I gonna do with all this paint? Start another build is what!"

Monogram TBD, is STILL an awesome model to build. As far as numbering, you let me know which squadron and which plane number, and I'll give you the crew info! IIRC, then only TBD's that had the duel mount MG's in the rear was VT-8. Both VT-3, and VT-6, all had the single .30. I'm hoping to see pictures soon!

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Tom:

I find the decals are "EH", and the canopy masks just suck. Otherwise, she is a beautiful build, very involved, especially in the cockpit and gunner's positions. I am noticing, as I prepare to attach the greenhouse, that the windscreen seems to have a weird fit to it that will require attention. So far the build is going well. Oh, and one more thing to watch out for. On the bottom of the landing gear legs, are very delicate little brake lines. They will break if you try to support the model without the wheels at least placed where they belong...ask me how I know this...:(

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for the information. I'll probably be building mine as a VT-3 or a VT-6 plane since the model has a single .030 caliber rear firing weapon. I'm headed into the hobby room (garage) to get busy on the Midway build(s). Hopefully I can post something up later tonight. Thanks again for the offer. I'll take you up on it once I narrow down my choice.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

It’s been a PIA in the later stages. I read Tom Cleaver’s review of the kit om Modeling Madness, and I would strongly suggest anyone about to start building this kit, read it as well. He hit all the trouble spots dead on, and I am currently awaiting the Squadron Vac Canopy before I proceed. After that, it should go well. I’ll focus on the F4F, and the B5N while I wait.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 1 month ago:

This is a brilliant group for a Brit. I am sure there are many who have a great deal of knowledge on this topic - but I am learning so much about aircraft and history that I really barely knew. This looks like a great model taking shape. I am genuinely excited to see how it is finished. The bar is being set so high! Fantastic stuff - top notch!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul, from an Yank who is HALF Brit, (Family come from Nottingham area, some in London as well.)

I find myself learning SO much from these groups builds. Maybe not from what the folks write. It's more for the fire it lights, and my desire to learn more about the subject under discussion.

So now...what are you gonna build, Sir? 🙂

• Profile Photo

I've got hold of an ancient Nichimo Aichi E13 in 1/48th - still researching while waiting for resin cockpit and engine to arrive. It's an attempt to renovate a kit lacking in some detail and to recognise errors and 'misses' by Japanese recon. that cost very dear.

• Profile Photo

The research, (At least I find anyway) is a HUGE part of the group build. I have read and reread many books on Midway, and now have been read a book called, "Shattered Sword", which I believe is the absolute book about the battle. Shed so much new light on areas of the fight, that I had no idea of. Takes things from the Japanese side, and examines their tactics and doctrine and how it contributed to their defeat. Very, VERY good read. I

I think I'll post a list of the books that really give a very good account of the battle, without the American spin on events.

• Profile Photo

I am currently reading:

The Battle of Midway (Pivotal Moments in American History) by Craig L. Symonds

and

Midway (The Battle that Doomed Japan, the Japanese Navy's story) by Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okuyima

I chose one book from an American viewpoint and one from a Japanese perspective.

For the sake of those who haven't read the book, Fuchida commanded the Agaki carrier air group, and Okuyima was a dive-bomber pilot assigned to Ryujo. Originally published in 1955 it is as critical as it can be of the Japanese operation!

I have seen Shattered Sword recommended before and will certainly read it next.

• Profile Photo

Shattered Sword is a phenomenal read, and one that is far and away better than the Fuchida book, and is really, REALLY excellent. Symonds book is a very good read too, and if you want to get into the nitty gritty of fighter on fighter combat, try a book called,
    "The First Team, Naval Fighter Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway" by John Lundstrom. (He also does a follow up book on the Guadalcanal Campaign.) Again, excellent book that try to focus on the BIG picture, not the American version. Trust me, as an American myself, if broadens the scope of the battle, hearing both sides.

I had two uncles stay in Britain. One at Thorppe Abbotts as a member of the 349th Bomb Squadron, 100th Bomb Groupe, the other as a member of the506 PIR, 101st Airbourne. One completed 33 missions over occupied Europe, the other jumped into Normandy on 5 June, and slugged his way across France, Holland, Belgium and Germany...

Cheers

Freddie from LI

• Profile Photo

33 missions with the Bloody Hundredth is exceptional. My dad's best friend dropped into Holland, at Arnhem - was 'lucky' enough to be one of those evacuated, with broken legs - so it is a small world!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Small world indeed, my dad was with the 501st, 101st Airborne. Saw it all to include the jumps into Normandy and then Holland. Spend time in a field Hospital in England for a case of "trench foot " after Bastogne was relieved. When released he made his way to Southern Germany to be with "his boys." BTY, Frederick that TBD is looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

It is a small world indeed. Our family had 4 brothers in the US Army at the same time during WW2. Almost like in the movie "Saving Private Ryan".

One brother, John, jumped into Normandy on D-Day with the 101st. Later he landed by glider (according to the article) at Bastogne and was wounded in Jan 1945. I would rather believe that he landed by glider during Market Garden. He survived the War.

http://www.mtzionhistoricalsociety.org/vet_gardner_john_b.htm

Another brother, Calvin, fought in Italy and was killed in southern France in August 1944.

http://www.mtzionhistoricalsociety.org/vet_gardner_calvin.htm

Another brother, Theodore, landed in Normandy on D-Day plus 58. He was later killed on Christmas Eve at Bastogne.

http://www.mtzionhistoricalsociety.org/vet_gardner_ted.htm

The last brother, Sonny, was severely wounded near Strasbourg France on December 15th, 1944. He survived the War.

http://www.mtzionhistoricalsociety.org/Images/vet_gardner_ward.jpg

Another Gardner, Tom, (related but not among the 4 brothers) was severely wounded on D-Day plus 3 (June 9th), and was evacuated back to England where he died of his injuries several months later in October.

http://www.mtzionhistoricalsociety.org/vet_gardner_tom.htm

Freedom isn't free... Just ask some of our family or visit your local VA hospital.

Sorry to get off track about your build thread, but I thought it was appropriate since you were talking about WW2 veterans. My Dad was the first family member to break the "curse". Up until my Dad, our family lost family members to each war from the Revolutionary War up until Korea. My Dad was wounded in Korea but thank God he survived.

So I guess I'm like the son of Lt. Dan from the movie Forrest Gump ?