1:48 Scale, Great Wall, TBD-1 ”Devastator”

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 39 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 7 years, 1 month ago:

As some one who comes from a 'lucky' family who have seen family members off to the western front in WW 1 and to Italy and the Solomons in WW 2 and seen them all come home again, its only when you hear of stories of families like Louis that you really begin to understand the true magnitude of the sacrifice that those individuals and families made during the war.
    All honour to them.
    Glad that the curse has been broken, and to have you with us Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, thank you for your families service to our country. Quite a record, and one to be proud of. Courage, duty, and sacrifice. Your post makes concepts like those concrete. Thanks for sharing your families story, part of a greater, ongoing story.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Louis: Never an issue when it comes time to honoring our veterans, AND the veterans of our allies as well. They all fought together for the common cause, and all suffered equally.

Getting back on the TBD...
    While my initial impression was very favorable, I have run a roadblock with the attachment of the canopies. The issue is, they JUST DONT FIT! If I wanted to use the one piece CLOSED canopy, everything would be fine. That's not what I want to do, because of all the beautiful detail in the pit, I want it open...which means I must be nuts...or soon will be!

Currently, the model sits, while I am waiting for the Squadron vac canopy to arrive, hopefully today as it is out for delivery.

The decals are on, and it all boils down to the canopy...UGH!

If you are planning on building this kit, read...really, READ Tom Cleaver's article on Modeling Madness. It WILL save you many of the headaches I have run into. Is the kit unbuildable? Hell no!, it just takes a little extra work to get her done. Still is an awesome model, in spite of the travails.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 11 months ago:

"Many of my friends are now dead. To a man, each died with a nonchalance that each would have denied as courage. They simply called it lack of fear. If anything great or good is born of this war, it should not be valued in the colonies we may win nor in the pages historians will attempt to write, but rather in the youth of our country, who never trained for war; rather almost never believed in war, but who have, from some hidden source, brought forth a gallantry which is homespun, it is so real."

"When you hear others saying harsh things about American youth, do all in your power to help others keep faith with those few who gave so much. Tell them that out here, between a spaceless sea and sky, American youth has found itself and given itself so that, at home, the spark may catch. There is much I cannot say, which should be said before it is too late. It is my fear that national inertia will cancel the gains won at such a price. My luck can't last much longer, but the flame goes on and on."

--Ensign William R. Evans, USN, a pilot of Torpedo Squadron 8, KIA at Midway, 4 June 1942.

The previous quote, was taken from a letter written by Ens. Evans, to his parents on the eve of battle, June 1942. Within a few days of it's posting to the states, he and twenty-eight of his squadron mates would be dead.

The model I have built, is in the honor of Ens, Evans and the entire "Torpedo Eight" contingent who perished at Midway.

Here are the final pictures.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looks like you won the battle with the canopies. It turned out very nicely... The details on the torpedo "face" and the rear gunner's twin MG's really looks fantastic.

Amazing story with the letter. It's almost like he had a "premonition" of sorts. This is the first time I heard of this.

Your plane serves as a fitting tribute. Thank you... We will be looking forward to the reveal which is only about two weeks away.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Excellent work!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Lest we forget. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 11 months ago:

I book I have read, "A Dawn Like Thunder" by former NY Congressman Bob Mrazak, is an accounting of VT-8, and it's exploits during the war. It chronicles the men who flew,fought and died at Midway, breathing life into just names in a photograph. While there are a few historical inaccuracies in the text, for the most part it is an excellent read. The reason I chose to build Evans' TBD, was because of the fact that he was a child of privilege. Educated at Wesleyan University, he chose to enlist, rather than get the deferment his parents wanted him to get. He was perhaps the most eloquent of the VT-8 aircrews, which I felt was perfectly exhibited in his last letter to his parents.

It also added human touch to what we are modeling. These men, both American and Japanese, were living breathing people, who literally fought to the death defending their respective countries.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Well put Freddie. Well put indeed... Thanks again my friend.