Academy P-38E,1/48, 343rd FG,54th FS, Aleutian island

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 65 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I really do appreciate your random act of kindness. A lot of that going around lately.. Something the world could do more of these days.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, as mentioned earlier, it seems a lit less labor intensive this time. Only maybe because the lack of the radar operator portion of the P-38M. This seems to be going together well so far. Just the normal seam clean up that will be addressed once the airframe is completed. I have never build the Hasegawa kit or even cracked one open to see the layout, so I will not comment how it compares as I don't know. But I have a feeling I'm going to get one

• Profile Photo

Encountered my first hiccup, While removing the front lower engine cowlings, I noticed one of them looked kind've unusual. Now all the parts were still in their bags when I popped the lid for the 1st time. Yet somehow one of the cowlings has been near a heat source of some kind. Just a minor oops but it will have to be fixed. This kit has not been near anything that gets hot. The tires are still in their bags as it looks just like a Tigercat when one of the rubber tires touches the plastic for a time. Funny how this part suffered some kind of heat damage. Oh well got them both installed again careful with alignment to minimize seam clean up. With the front lower cowling installed, next was to install the instrument panel to the front upper coaming before assembling it to the fuselage. Once in it sits well back under that coaming, even with the side windows down and open canopy it will be difficult to see it. Next up the upper nose panels are next and I will install the RH side first then the LH side to minimize again all them seams around the nose. And with that more to follow.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Good work !
    The part looks like someone at the Academy company had a bad Monday. Should be easy to fix.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Sorry to hear about the lower cowling. Like Bernd stated, hopefully it will be a fairly easy fix. You have done some great work with the pilot's office.

I have several of the early Hasegawa Lightning's. They look pretty nice. Who knows, one of these days I may build one up...

I really like the camaraderie here on this website. It seems like almost everyone is willing to help one another when they can.

Rick Wilkes sent me a spinner for my SBD build. Mine was missing. Without it my kit probably would have been dead I the water. It pleases me to see that others help out when they can.

Good Mojo... You reap what you sow.

• Profile Photo

A minor update, this phase I added the weights in the nose, Then some more weights in the nose cap as well and installed it carefully, yet still managed to not end up with a perfect fit. While letting that set for a bit. Next was to add the stabs on the outer portion of the tail booms. Then next to work over the seams through out the airframe, engine nacelles, tail booms and of course the nose. Lots of work to look forward too, sheesh. With that the airframe is completed. More to follow.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 1 month ago:
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

You're coming right along Chuck... It will be green and gray before you know it...

Looks good !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Thanks George for the lead. Those will come in handy for future builds planned.

• Profile Photo

Louis, I have two shades of OD en route for the Lightning. Should have them this weekend though most likely won't start painting as yet.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

really taking shape nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

The different shades of OD green will really help you achieve the weathered look that happened with the OD colors fairly fast. The harsh environment combined with increased UV exposure took it's toll pretty quickly ...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg it went together much quicker than I thought. Now just clean up the seams and some detail parts and this should be done by the end of the month. Especially for a someone that takes his time.

• Profile Photo

Looking at some of the photographs of the aircraft in theatre, you can see the heavy use of these aircraft in this environment. Don't want to over do the wear and tear, but will try to represent a well worn airframe.