Academy P-38E,1/48, 343rd FG,54th FS, Aleutian island

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 65 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Louis, it even looks much more so once the decals and the flat finish was applied the appearance I wished to achieve I believe was what I desired.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 11 months ago:

This will be the final posting for this WIP, the Lightning is pretty much completed. After the decals were applied, weathered over the glossy finish, then using Life Color Flat finish to dull coat the airframe. Let it sit for a day and then installed the landing gear, bombs, gear doors and the rear ballast. Next the turbo chargers, propellers, and the gun barrels in the nose. One of the techniques I used in the glossy stage was to apply a puddle of dirty wash on each fuel tank filler caps. Then with the airbrush simulated airflow over the wings to blow each puddle to simulate fuel leakage from each cap. Especially around the 4 tank filler caps around the fuselage. I think I got what I wanted to achieve. Then a dirty wash over the undersurfaces. Paint chipping around the walk areas between the fuselage and tail booms. Lot of wear here, this airframe was used hard and it should show heavy use for this environment. But then not over do it either. And thats it. The next images will be when I do the presentation in June. Thanks for following this WIP. And thanks to Louis Gardner and Imodeler for the amazing opportunity to share this P-38E Lightning from Academy.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to the final reveal.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looks good at this stage - looking forward to the final images!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

I agree with Tom and Greg... This Lightning really looks sharp.

You're welcome Chuck. I'm glad that you started your various build threads. You have built some very nice planes.

I also appreciate the honest feedback you have provided for my questions throughout the Midway Group Build. Without it, I don't think this "Group Build" project would have turned out nearly as good as it did.

This has been a team project. The old saying goes, "There's no "I" in the word "TEAM".

Thanks again my friend, for taking the time and putting forth the effort to share your builds with us.

Like the others, I am really looking forward to the reveal.

Take care buddy.