Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator USMC, VMSB-241,Capt Richard Fleming

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 64 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 12 months ago:

A couple of points about the Vindicators on Midway. I believe that prior to Pearl Harbor the Marine Vindicator Squadron at Ewa flew en mass to Midway, up the island chain. The photo of the burning Vindicator at Ewa on 7 Dec is one of their reserve aircraft. The aircraft were at Midway until the battle, probably in the open, as Midway was a transit point before the Japanese increased its importance. Recall that the rear fuselage of the aircraft is fabric. The photo of the two aircraft taking off to attack the Japanese fleet shows what appears to be white stripes on the rear fuselage. It is surgical adhesive tape, which on the old days was fabric, and nigh impossible to remove- my Mother was a Nurse. The tape was to keep the fabric from letting go, it needed to be replaced, and they hadn't been able to do so. Bare base facilities. Also, the Vindicators were painted overall gray when they and other Navy tactical aircraft went into camouflage, later the uppers were painted blue-gray, per the next change. Some of the Vindicators were described as being "mottled", leading me to believe the blue-gray was a hasty paint job, and sitting in the sun and the tropical rains on Midway, and usage tended to erode the camouflage.

A little food for thought.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks Bernard, this info I have and you confirmed it. These facts on the Vindicator I will reveal when I do the presentation upon its completion.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 12 months ago:

The Vindicator is shaping up nicely Chuck. It's always a good sign for me when the big parts start going together.

• Profile Photo

Yes this one does take a little more time to get together with the smaller yet sturdy parts on this kit. In the end it goes together well despite the hiccup around the wing to lower fuselage area, this will need some work. Will show that coming up soon.

• Profile Photo

The engine for this kit is pretty nice. Already prepainted Model Master Metallizer Steel . Then highlighted with a dirty wash. Xtracrylix glossy Dk Ghost Grey was used for the crank case. Gold (instead of brass was used for the wiring) Black for the valve covers and pushrod tubes. Next assembling the engine cowl, Unlike most kits it is normally molded as one piece such as the Devastator cowl, this one is 3 pieces + 2 for the exhaust tips sticking out of the cowl. It went together with no hiccups, though the plastic parts are quite thin. A test fit of the engine into the cowl is tight but I see no issues at the moment. Next to install the engine to the front of the fuselage. A positive fit here. Next to slip the cowl over the engine and assemble that to the forward section of the fuselage. Perfect fit. AM did well here to insure a positive fit. Finally to install the cowl ring and we are down for now. Whew, this portion is completed. More to follow.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Nice work on the engine. Accurates engine detail was always top notch. Comprehensive detail, like the rest of the kit. First rate kits, pity they're no longer with us as their own entity.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 12 months ago:

very nice indeed Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Bernard, yes, your correct the fine detail that AM kits have were very well done on this kit as well as the Dauntless and the Avenger kits. I haven't seen any of the repops from Italeri as yet and see if they replicated the same delicate details.
    Thanks Dave and hope that it will turn out well.

• Profile Photo

Next was to airbrush some light grey into the wheel wells since I had some leftover in the airbrush while painting the Devastator. Also prepainted the struts and other detail bits before putting up the gun. Next is to address the seams under the fuselage around the lower insert under the tail area and wing join. Pretty nasty gap where this piece attaches all around. Some filler work here should take care of that. More to follow.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

WOW Chuck ! What a difference since the last time I checked in...

It really looks great.

• Profile Photo

After working over the seams under the Vindicator, next is to install the lower windows that are used to place the bombs on target. Next is to install the center bomb rack.. The delivery cradle will be installed towards the end of the project. Next is to install the rather complicated landing gear. But easy to install. Just a few bits that you carefully install, not difficult but just take your time. First the coil spring and forward strut actuator into the forward bay. Check for alignment and let it set in place. I did this step for both sides. Next the main strut actuator is placed on the back side of the forward gear bay. Slight angle forward and place right behind the gear strut. Of course you always want to be careful snipping these parts off the sprue. I was a little to hasty on the LH strut actuator and snapped on me in half. To fix it, I just installed the lower half into the gear bay and when the strut was installed I just sandwiched the broken piece between the strut and actuator. Checked alignment and walla! fixed. With both mains completed time to let it set. Turns out to be pretty sturdy. More to follow.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

That looks like a very sturdy landing gear Chuck. I never realized there was a bombing window used on a Vindicator. It makes perfect sense though. I learned something new... Thanks

You're steadily making progress my friend... Looks good !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis it is getting down to the wire. Next with the gear installed, now normally the landing gear is one of the last steps of most of my builds but since the gear is the same color as the undersurfaces as well as the gear bays, no masking is needed in this case compared to let say an Army Air Corp bird that is Neutral Gray and the gear is aluminum or natural metal, then you would have to worry about masking a fragile gear leg. Next up is the difficult task of installing the clear parts. First with the windshield. The fit is not the best here but good enough. But before we do we install the sight scope that most USN bombers used during this period of the war. Next we apply the Montex masks on the windscreen. Now like the Devastator I am going to next install the sliding rear glass panel in place. Mask it and paint it before installing the center portion of the canopy. But this is where the fit is not good. After test fitting the center glass will not sit correctly over the slider. So my solution is to sand down the lower edges of the slider to make it lower so we can get that main panel to fit over it. To do that was to just slide it over a sanding stick evenly. Looks like it may work. Being careful not to put any fractures in this valuable part. Only have this to work with. Once done I then installed it and called it an evening.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dirk Derks said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Chuck,
    This plane is coming together just fine.
    Looking forward to see the end result.
    Regards, Dirk/ The Netherlands

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Chuck. Coming along quite well.