Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator USMC, VMSB-241,Capt Richard Fleming

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 64 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Dirk, unlike the Devastator and the Lightning, this one is a little more labor intensive, more bits and pieces. And the work on the canopy will take some care. But the challenge is the fun in building.
    Tom, yes a little more once getting the past the canopy almost there.

• Profile Photo

While having some black in the airbrush, I went ahead and did some preshading on the Vindicator. Might as well knock it out while doing the Devastator at the same time. No black on the fabric portion of the rear fuselage. Also paint the windscreen as well. Next is to install the rear sliding gunners glass right behind the raft. Then applying the Montex Masks as directed. While airbrushing the Blue Grey on the Devastator, I added some Light Grey (didn't have any white) to lighten for fading and sprayed the fabric portion to see if it would appear faded compared to the metal portions of the airframe which will be slightly darker, but lighter overall in appearance parked next to the Devastator when complete. The Midway based USMC Vindicators were behind in the maintenance cycle, very faded in appearances at the time of the Midway battle. So hoping to achieve to capture this appearance when finished. Next was to airbrush the black over the framing then apply the USN Blue Grey, slightly darker than the rear fuselage shade. Then remove the maskings from the glass. And encountered some residue left over on the glass, hmmmm. With that I will call it a day.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Your build is really shaping up. It looks more and more like a complete plane with each new posting... The work is fantastic Chuck. I just noticed the similarities between the rudder and elevator on your Vindicator and a F4U Corsair ... Maybe because they were both built by Vought ? Hmmmmmmm.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, this one wrestled me a bit. Some minor challenges that some my own. Like first to remove the glue residue left behind while demasking the canopy. My trusty Blue Magic polish will remove most of it. I have had this tube for almost 20 years now. Good stuff! Next installing the main canopy section and masking it off with the Montex and Tamiya yellow tape. Then masking off the pilots sliding section. Once done with the masking, next was to apply the black over the framing. Now time to prepare to airbrush the USN Blue Grey, unlike the Devastator I will lighten this batch with Light Grey. The Vindicators on Midway were badly faded as well as the other aircraft based there. So will try to make this Vindicator well worn for this period of the war. Once the base color is applied. I again add more light grey to lighten the Blue Grey even more for the fabric section of the rear fuselage. By masking off the metal portion of the airframe I will then apply the lighter shade. Once thats done some touch up and ready for the clear coat.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.