Monogram 1/48 Devastator TBD-1 USN VT-8 Ens George Gay, USS Hornet CV-8

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 81 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

My final piece for the Devastator arrived today, TD wheels to replace the kit supplied wheels. Today I added the wingfold inserts into the wings. They are interior green for now but will be painted Light grey when it comes down to painting the airframe when I get to that stage of the build. Next installing the stabs, the fit was loose so had to hold each stab while the glue set so they wouldn't droop. Taking shape now as that basic airframe is complete. Now to some filler work, sanding, sanding and more sanding. In the meantime to build the outer wing panels. More to follow.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Coming along nicely, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looking really nice Chuck!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard will get back into it this weekend, or more like Saturday, Sunday will be quite busy being Easter.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Nothing like a little progress to make one's day. Looking good Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Great work.Have a great Easter Chuck and look forward to seeing the next installment !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Happy and Blessed Easter, everyone!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looks like you have really made some headway here. It's looking good too.

Happy Easter my friend.

• Profile Photo

Love the weekend, time to work on the Midway projects, first the Devastator, some sanding on the wing roots to blend and smooth over the fuselage to wing seam. Apply little more putty and set that aside. Next to build the outer wing panels. Again the wingfold inserts are interior green, they will be repainted the Light Grey when we get to that point in the build. Next to detail the engine and build it before installing it. Then after detailing I temporarily attached it to the front of the fuselage. I also installed the gun panel perfect fit on this part. More to follow

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Weekends are Great ! Looks like you have had a very productive one too... Looks good my friend.

• Profile Photo

Yes but not long enough, when you get into it, time just flies.

• Profile Photo

Now it was time to check out this Montex window masks for the first time. Nice looking set, and easy to remove them from the backing. The trick is to align each mask to the framing which is on the the outside. So starting inboard L to R. Upside down right to left actually. You can move them around a little, then with a tip of the tweezer adjust them before pressing them down. Slow going. It about 30 minutes to do the windshield. Looked ok at first, then after closer inspection, they were off when viewing from the outside. So if a painted the interior color then removed the masks, I would've had a painting issue when trying to do the outside framing. Not going to work. Not easy.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

I had a similar problem with the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver canopy masks when I built it a few months ago. It took some considerable time to "eyeball" the alignment and guess how it would look once painted. In the end I was happy with how it turned out though.

On the rear canopy sections of the TBD, they are really not too visible once stacked up on top of each other. The pilot's windscreen and pilot's canopy are probably the two most visible once the kit is built if you are building it with the canopy open.

In the past I have simply masked off the outside of the clear parts, then painted it with whatever interior color was used. Next I sprayed right over it again with the outside final top colors. The final touch is to paint the edges of the canopy sections that you normally see when it's opened, with the interior or exterior final colors. It's kind of cheating, but it gives you fairly close results. Good enough in most cases... This is exactly what I just did with my AM Avenger and SBD Dauntless builds.

Then when you look at the inside of the canopy, the interior colors are showing. When you see it from the outside, the exterior colors are what you see. It plays a trick on your eyes.

I'm sure that whatever you decide to do will work out just fine Chuck. Thanks for keeping us all updated.

Take care buddy...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

That is the technique I have been using for many years. Regardless with canopy masks or masking tape. Always painted the interior color or black before painting the camo. Just a routine process in the art of model canopies.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

A quick update, did a little painting of the Light Grey in the wheel bays, wing fold and dive brake sections. Also painted the wheel hub, landing gear struts, dive brake inner surfaces as well. Next Neutral Grey was painted in the inside the engine cowl. Once dry I installed the engine within the cowl. Installed the engine assy to the fuselage and pre-shaded the under surfaces of the airframe. More to follow.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.