1/48 Tamiya Fw-190 A4 , JG 2 Nord Afrika

Started by Louis Gardner · 161 · 5 years ago · 1/48, FW-190, Kasserine Pass, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, just caught up (again...) with your conclusions and fine “private eye” research of the film.

If I may, would like to give my two cents of thought regarding one point of your conclusion, the dark rudders.

Personally I don’t believe the RLM 04 rudders were overpainted in any dark colour.

Looking at the first color image that caught your attention about this, I see it as the simple shading of the colour due to the fact that the rudders are banked, and this is a phenomena seen in numerous WW2 photos, including B&W. They do look far darker than the real shade would be if the sun light was directed as the rest of the plane surfaces.

Then come two other stills in that clearly show that there is something not 04 on those areas, but looking closely at the pic where the locals stand in front of the 190, I came to the conclusion that the ground crews simply put some canvas over the bright yellow area of the rudder to aid concealment of the plane.

I guess those camouflaged canvas issued to all personnel to be used as camouflage or tents may have been such used in those stills. Basic but perhaps effective means of camouflage in primitive landing strips in the middle of nowhere. In fact several images you posted show the plane having such camouflage cloths.

As for the rest of your fantastic findings, i believe you are spot on my friend. Just my point of view on this 😉

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, this is fantastic research--you've gone the extra mile in a way that I would long ago have said, Meh, good enough for a hobby." I look forward to the reveal!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hey, Louis. I find that more and more I get real joy from the research element of modeling, not in a rivetty countery way, but just connecting with a subject. it sounds and looks like this has pushed the same buttons for you.

Lovely background and a great thread; as you've said before, the ability to add photos to comments/replies has contributed hugely to the enjoyment of reading though projects. Great job here, Louis. On all counts.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David, get yourself a micrometer and a pocket flashlight, you'll be a star! I actually saw one at a show, once. He was squinting into somebodys cockpit, with his flashlight. I had to walk away, and chuckle to myself. So serious! Toilet trained too early, no doubt.

• Profile Photo

Here's the thing, Bernard; in many years of working at two of Britain's top universities I've never met a happy perfectionist. Ever.

Now, where's my violin and deerstalker?

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Wow! This is one productive build group thread! Modeling tips, history, and free therapy!

I concur with you, David, after teaching in three seminaries and serving as minister in several churches, perfectionism is a losing game. I'm trying to work out whether my return to modeling is a mitigating catharsis for such tendencies in me or a goad that exacerbates them. But maybe you'd argue these comments should be in your thread on conversion?

Cheers, friend.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Wow! Therapy, theology, theory, tips and history all combined into one interesting thread! There's a lot of "bang for your buck" here. I know of no better place to spend time that could be used for sleeping than right here. Louis, you are truly inspiring. With David and David's thoughts and explanations plus all the others who have contributed to this build review, Bernie, Pedro, Paul & Paul, Tom and others add to the whole experience.

This is the most interesting website I know!

• Profile Photo

Jeff - you nailed it. It's a great place.

• Profile Photo

Amen, brothers and sisters!

• Profile Photo

David, stay away from that 2% solution. Agree the perfectionists are a dour lot. And welcome to it, at that! Todays uplifting thought.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You know what guys ?
    It just doesn't get any better than this !

• Profile Photo

Pedro you very well could be on to something with your thoughts on the canvas covers. I have seen some pictures of the US Navy covering the bright red and white stripes on the rudder, and the wing insignia on planes that were tied down on deck.

It makes sense to try and conceal the planes in a combat zone.

I'll dig a little more and see what I can find.

Hopefully tonight I can get some more work done on these Wurgers.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments and good humor.

• Profile Photo

I've seen that, mostly photos taken early in the Pacific war, on the carriers During the tail stripe and star-in-a-circle with red dot in the center period. Wildcats and Dauntlesses. On forward airfields, cut brush or camouflage nets, again covering the insignia.

• Profile Photo

Today was a great day and the Iron Werks...despite the He-111 set back.

I stated out by sanding the seams on three of the four Wurgers on the assembly line...

Once I was happy with how things were looking, I added the small antennae mount on the top of the fin. It will still need a little trimming and sanding to the final shape, but it's pretty close right now...

In the one photo that shows Rudorffer sitting in the cockpit, it is a later version of the A4.

You can tell because the cooling slats are visible. In this particular photo, the slats are adjustable, which was a feature that would remain throughout the FW production on the radial engine variants.

The "early A-4's" had non adjustable cooling vents like this one...

So I scratch built a set of the slats and simply covered over the existing cooling openings, which were typically seen on the early A-4's.

Next step was to mask off the cockpit and spray some paint !

I used Model Master RLM 79 "Sandgelb"

Here's how the plane looks after I sprayed it...

I'll let this sit a while so the paint dries.
    As usual, comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo

Tonight I made some progress...

For starters, I made another fin mounted antennae mast and glued it to one of the A3 planes. Presto, I now have an early A4 variant.

Next I finished up all of the sanding on the seams where I had previously glued the parts together. I'm happy to report that no filler was needed so far.

I used 400 grit wet / dry paper to start out with, then I switched over to 2000 grit wet or dry sand paper. This very fine sand paper removed all of the fine scratches left from the initial 400 grit sanding work. After the 2000 grit paper, I simply used a plain old household paper towel to polish the surfaces... A soft cloth like a T-shirt would also work just fine.

Then it was time to spray some RLM 76. The Wurger Werks is in business...

Here's how Rudorffer's plane looks now.

Next step I start spraying on some white, then yellow...

As usual, comments are encouraged.