The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David l-s wrote: "Jeff, you could post your laundry list and I’d still enjoy it!" Thanks ... but I wonder about that ...
    Louis, GREAT story! This is just the kind of "trivia" I love. As said, it's very heartwarming and shows how sometimes good can come from bad.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

Sorry, friends, end of semester cram and the family has been away, leaving me with three dogs...kinda fits the narrative.

On the "Jeep," cool story! Many forget that the U.S. Army Jeep itself was named after another character...the animated fun-loving critter of the Popeye cartoons...

Though the name stuck to the vehicle and took on a life of its own, my dad made sure to point out the origin of the name; when you think of the soldiers and how they imported whimsical pop culture items to lighten their dreary world, its understandable--not to mention the nature of Popeye's Jeep, which was cheery and harmless, fast, and could disappear and reappear at will. Note also the similarity of the original "Jeep" character to another WW2 persona...

Hard to tell whether this flyboy name his coyote pup after the vehicle or the critter; maybe both!

On the cats, David, this poem from an anthology I have:

The Cats of Kilkenny

There once were two cats of Kilkenny,
    Each thought there was one cat two many;
    So they fought and they fit,
    And they scratched and they bit,
    Till, excepting their nails
    And the tips of their tails,
    Instead of two cats, there weren't any.

Strange how a whimsy becomes chilling prophecy when a certain context--say, a North Africa campaign Panzer diorama--is given, huh?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

David. Very glad to hear from you. The photo below tells the tale of my weekend thus far; actual modeling is happening, fun is being had, and wine is being...sipped.

Thank you for the poem, I am giving serious thought to this being printed for the office; a cautionary tail (sic) to warn against personal conflict.

So, I have found the perfect little base for the diorama, and now that the Big E nears her voyage end, I anticipate a speedy denouement (well, as speedy as I can manage and that's not quite 'Jeep' standards) to this contribution to the KP group build.

Thanks for the lovely post - g@d speed, and fair thee well.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

I had always heard that Jeep came from the government label: GP = Government Property, aka - Jeep from GP.

Since Popeye or his critter weren't Government Property, this may be conjecture, but it's all part of the lore. He certainly named his Critter "Jeep." For whatever unknown (to us) reason.

The Jeep WAS officially labeled GP. When last we had Jeeps in the Army, it was listed as: "Truck, 1/4 Ton, GP" (and some more jargon, of course.) I could NEVER get used to thinking of our Jeeps as "Trucks!" Ha!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

I personally saw to it that "Kilroy Was Here" made it to Iraq & Kuwait. Ol' Kilroy sure gets around!

• Profile Photo

Hey, Jeff - post number 200. So much for a 'quickie'.

So this was your work...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

The coyote pup named "Jeep" was actually named after Popeye's Jeep. This is what they stated on "Wild Bill's" website.

Thanks David for letting me know that Jeep's grave site is still well taken care of.

I took this image from the biker's posting on the link you provided. Looks like you have been having an enjoyable weekend. The projects are looking good too.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:
  • Profile Photo

Quick update on the Tiger/Camel build. Work carries on at something of a glacial pace on the crew.

Meanwhile I have found and fashioned a base from some scrap wood. Hopefully today I'll be able to start on the terrain. My wife continues to commandeer the 'workshop' (RHIP) and I've started to notice the feminisation process taking place there - the appearance of actual color in the room. She'll be finished studying soon, so normal service will be resumed with greys, dark greens, greys, dark blues, greys, and a little beige.

• Profile Photo

'When solfogids and elasmobranch attack'. Ha. And my other half says I need to get out more...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Starts to look great, I found a little detail in one of the pics and get the idea what your next project will be! Looking for it to take shape (and get revealed of course) 🙂

• Profile Photo

Ah, Michel, you are WAY ahead of the curve. In all honesty, there's a few 'clues' and I thought if anyone put them together it'd be you. Need to be sneaker. No WiP with THAT build, but I'm taking photos as I go along and may post them as part of the 'reveal'.

Back to the lads in Tunisia, I've been doing some baking...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Solifuge/solfugid/solifigud/solpugid vs i***t

(The Camel is the ungulate! I'm backing the ungulate under Kasserine Pass conditions - the elasmobranch won't get skin cancer - my only shark trivia - but might be little too dehydrated to put on a show, unless there has been a 'Sharknado' which would be a whole different kettle of fish...)

Apologies, it is late here.

• Profile Photo

Argh. You got me, Paul. I'll edit that one later! And as for the "different kettle of fish" remark, pun of the week without a doubt.

Those Camel Spiders are terrifying!

• Profile Photo

Managed to get a layer of desert yellow on the plaster. Next will be getting on some lacquer and then sticking on the terrain. Nice to get some building time this weekend. The Unglot is enjoying the freedom of the dio at the moment, making the most of things while he can...