The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Now here's a post that certainly crosses the plastic divide.

This is clearly your domain and I hereby acede amendment rights to you, my brother. From my earliest memories in Shul we called 'Paul' Saul (or Shaul). As you say, as a Jew and Roman citizen he had both a Hebrew name and a Latin/Greek name (Paul). For 'us' the two names have always been interchangeable and there is no discernible difference or change after his 'conversion'. In this respect I will admit to using a common (and historically incorrect) heuristic for the sake of dramatic effect in that first post.

Interestingly (or not, which is much more likely), my own given birth name is Davis. This is actually remarkably analogous, in that I have two names and after building a tank, I have decided to keep my preferred title. Perhaps in centuries to come, historians may say, "after the Tiger, he became Davis" if indeed people 'saw' me differently after building an armoured vehicle. But they probably won't.

As you point out, the real conversion was the gift Paul/Saul passed to others. Carrying on the metaphor, could we convince you to try a hand at building a 'clunky thing'?

Some may claim this is a form of ecumenical rivet counting. But like Greg's recent outrage toward my cutting mat, and my abhorrence of Ju88's, forgiveness and common fraternity is the way forward.

Now please, go buy a tank...

Your brother,

David(is)

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I just knew you were going to try and convert me to armor! I'm a fraud I've set myself up for that one.

Well, the Model T ambulance will have to do for now. I also have another legacy build in mind, inspired in part by your foray into all things floating...

https://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-Scale-Jeremiah-OBrien-Liberty/dp/B0006MJ59O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527292017&sr=8-3&keywords=liberty+ship+model&dpID=41UEVp3QmeL&preST=_SX342QL70&dpSrc=srch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Antoine_Saugrain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Saugrain

(Antoine F.P. Saugrain is my paternal great-great-great-great grandfather.)

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Was she one of the concrete Liberty ships?

• Profile Photo

By the way, David T. - I'm with David L-S in thinking there should be something with tracks in your future!

• Profile Photo

D.T - Your knowledge of the Bible - especially the New Testament is astounding. I tend to get lost in the name changes and/or all the begats. I've never been very big on family history, so all the familial relationships are corn-fusing to me. Knowing that the good Doctor Saugrain was your great, great, great, great Grandfather is pretty special. All I know is that there are Baileys going back to Scotland (which is ok) and they may have been/were sheep thieves (NOT so ok!) which doesn't make for a good incentive to investigate further! Besides, my family (both sides, to my knowledge) have pretty much died out and those few of us remaining don't know much family history. Sad, right?!

• Profile Photo

Quite astonishing, David. Puns, legacy, and genealogy all in a paragraph. I'll accept the Model T as a foray into vehicle based diorama, which is all the opening a good dealer needs...

On the subject of genealogy. Have a look at this.

Benjamin Leigh-Smith. My paternal great, great grandfather, who was a renowned explorer. One of his sisters, Fanny (stop sniggering at the back), married into the Nightingale family and produced a rather special daughter, Florence.

Admittedly not the most flattering photo.

Ben's most (in) famous voyage was on board his own ship, the Eira...

In 1881, Ben and his crew were crushed between ice flows in northern Russia. They survived ten months of almost constant darkness and crushingly cold temperatures by building a cabin of some of the wreckage. The ship's dog, Bob, was the real hero; a story for another day.

The photo below shows Grandpa Ben on board the Eira (second from the left) after they'd taken on board the officers of two Scottish ships they met at sea (the 'Hope' and the 'Eclipse'). The surgeon of the Hope, to the immediate right (as you look) of Ben, is none other than (Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle, soon to be literary father of Sherlock Holmes.

Only last year the wreck of the Eira was found and a Swiss led expedition is being mounted currently to try and retrieve her or as much as possible. I have been in touch regularly with the leader, Milko Vuille, about being involved in some aspect.

One added legacy of all this; Benjamin was named his own island. In the words of Joe Walsh, "ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice". Well, if you like bone-numbing cold, isolation, 120 mph winds, and the odd polar bear. If you fancy a game of 'where's wally' Leigh-Smith island is in the photo below...

I do realise that this reads like one of my 'crew narratives' for a diorama. The brief site below was put together by my grandfather, Christopher, himself a remarkable man.

http://www.leigh-smith.org/552/

• Profile Photo

I'd like to take credit for the pun, but "I'm a fraud" that was auto-correct run amok...

David, now that is downright remarkable stuff. And that sepia photo with Arthur Conan Doyle is a real keeper, wow. And given the photographic tech of the day I actually think that's a pretty fetching likeness of Florence.

My dad was really into the genealogy stuff, mostly from oral tradition through his dad and an aunt. I grew up with best records of my paternal grandfather's line and my maternal grandmother's line. My son got me a subscription to Ancestry and I began with what was the shallowest line I had--paternal grandmother, descendent of Irish Potato Famine immigrants--in an effort to tie it off as a sort of loose end. Oops. The thing blew up and took me back through Charlemagne to a Roman consul in the 4th century (not as notable as it seems; pretty much all us Europeans are cousins through Charlemagne). That's the line I told you of earlier, David, with Elizabeth of Rhuddlan, daughter of Edward I "Longshanks." I've barely touched anything since. Oh, but I did find when my Burrell line came from Scotland: 1856. So my grandfather Burrell--who drove the ambulance I am building--is really first generation American-born.

Saugrain is almost certainly my most illustrious ancestor of the last 200 years or so (scope of American history). He was a friend of Benjamin Franklin, known to Thomas Jefferson, and (one more thing), brother-in-law to Joseph Guillotin (Louise Saugrain, my great-whatever aunt, married Guillotin). Guillotin and Saugrain collaborated on vaccines. The main difference in life story is that Saugrain remained in France and bore no children, whilst Saugrain emigrated to the New World and produced a strong family line.

On the tank, one thing at a time, mates. Lemme get this vehicle behind me.

Jeff, on the S.S. Antoine Saugrain, I really don't know if she was a concrete Liberty ship. I doubt it, though, from what I've read. On the New Testament thing, I've got a Ph.D. in NT theology, with minors in Greek and NT literature, and I've been teaching for 30+ years. I'd better know it, or "I'm a fraud" they'll revoke my tenure! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David LS ... I noticed that the island you mentioned in the Arctic is right next door to another island named "Hooker Island" . Hmmmm I wonder how that happened. Also there's an island called "Luigi Island" right next door ... how convenient, it's only 30 miles away or so due North.

This genealogy stuff is fascinating to me. My great aunt was the one in our family that really got our family tree history started. She was a school teacher and played the piano at the theater way back when the movies were silent and you had to read the captions on the bottom of the screen.
    My sister must have inherited this ancestry gene, and she been doing some more work now.

Both of you gentlemen have a very interesting story and that is something to be proud of.

• Profile Photo

Fascinating, David. Fundamentally we are all joined in ways that we find hard to understand and sometimes find hard to accept.

Just don't mention Longshanks.

• Profile Photo

And back to modeling. This will be my last post on the thread regarding the build. I'm going to try and finish the project tomorrow or definitely Monday (it's a holiday here in the U.K.) - and then I'm going full on with the 'Higher Call' dio.

Anyway, here's a 'teaser' with an old friend before the reveal...

• Profile Photo

Trust you to actually look at the damned map, Louis. There are at least three branches of my family tree that only exist due to 'Hooker Island'...

• Profile Photo

David, I figured you'd forgive me my ancestry regarding Edward I given that my Welsh ancestor, Rhys ap Thomas fought at Bosworth Field and some credit with doing in Richard II--not to mention being Guillotin's nephew by marriage. There's some serious anti-royalist heritage going on there!

The Hooker Island thing...made me LOL for real. Too funny!

May I ask what's that on the camel's back?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Here I am going off tangent again... David T and I have two ancestors that fought side by side at Bosworth Field. Google "Sir William Gardner" or Wyllyam Gardynyr and you will see...

some Welsh accounts stated that he delivered the fatal blow to King Richard III with a pole ax, that's some seriously nasty stuff ...

Now there are some other accounts that state otherwise... but the end result was the same. They found him under a parking lot a few years ago.

Yep... curiosity got the best of me, and I had to find the island... 🙂

"The plane Boss ! The plane..."

• Profile Photo

Louis, after re-reading some accounts and theories, I am convinced it was your ancestor and not mine who was the actual regicide. The best theory I've found that explains the confusion (which stems from a poet's account that Rhys ap Thomas "shaved the boar"--a fairly clear reference to Richard III) is that William Gardner went to battle as a commoner among Thomas' troops. Thomas therefore garnered some sort of credit for the kill because it was his command that brought about the result. That Thomas--a nobleman already--was knighted for bringing his troops makes sense. That the then-commoner Gardner was knighted requires a more significant explanation. Recent books notwithstanding (https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Killed-Richard-III/dp/1445647257/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527401838&sr=8-2&keywords=the+man+who+killed+richard+iii&dpID=515kdYFWhzL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200QL40&dpSrc=srch), I am increasingly convinced it was William Gardner, not Rhys ap Thomas, who actually brought the halberd down on Richard's crown.

What remains is that our ancestors, in direct line, stood side by side--literally--and witnessed the fall of the Plantagenet line while facilitating the rise of the Tudors.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

The ancestry/genealogy history has been fascinating to me. My cousin in San Antonio is the one that has been working the family tree. I got the urge when flying back from Desert Storm when our C-5 landed at Torrejon AFB, Spain my country of origin. Now the base is by Madrid, our family town or village is near the French border. My last name is Villanueva, yet the original spelling was Villenueve which is closer to being French in origin than a Spanish one, some one in our family changed the fifth and last "e" to "a". Still doing research on who and why. My cousin along with others in the family believe in their opinion to Americanize the name. Though there is really nothing American about it really. Our flight was for only a 2 hour layover until we continued on to Dover AFB in Delaware. At the time when our ancestors settled in San Antonio, Texas, it was still in Mexican control in the early 1830's. They had a pretty good sized hacienda in what is now Lackland AFB and part of Kelly. Yeah lots of land that was purchased not taken when Texas became a republic then a state.

What is amazing by accident I discovered a possible link that dates back to Biblical times. Following a group of Jews that immigrated to Europe after being allowed to leave Babylon. (yep being that my family line may have Hebrew blood) my dad was not thrilled (devout Catholic) when I told him what I found. This group that followed a route from what is now Saudi Arabia, Egypt and crossed the Mediterranean to the Iberian Peninsula. Some settling there as others continued into what is France, Denmark (Dan, Den, Danish, yes that Daniel), Belgium and across the channel to the island of Brittania. By the way if those that don't know, the Crown Jewels that Queen Elizabeth wears that crown is the exact same crown of King David. The very same crown that our Lord Jesus is to wear when He returns.

Now back to my lineage. Fascinating stuff as I teach a class in Eschatology at our church. My mentor and also my co-facilitator in our class is brilliant. I learned so much from this man. This is the study of the End Times, and it is not just Revelation. It starts in Genesis. While studying the migration of man is when I found that how my family line orginated long before the voyage to America. It is fascinating stuff and I am so blessed some of our friends here have learned a bit of your family lineage. . That you have found direct lines to history in the Dark Ages. That part is still in the "dark" for where our family was up to somewhere in Espana.

That is still unknown. But I am hoping to get together with my cousins in San Antonio and see where we are at. And even finding our family Coat of Arms, do you know yours?

This is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak, this subject is so deep and filled with information that just goes right over peoples heads. Thats why our Pastor would have a tough time teaching a message about it. Not enough time to present it, and there is no simple way to explain it. Most will not get it. Even in class we get questions after a session. I hope I didn't go too long, sorry if I did.