U.S. Twelfth Air Force Douglas A-20B Havoc

Started by David A. Thomas · 71 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks, gents, for the kind words. I am pressing ahead as much as possible while I can. I have some aftermarket control surfaces to deal with, so wish me luck!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice work David. The A-20 is also a favorite of mine along with a few others. I just read through this thread and it's interesting to me how we have similar concerns (i.e. finishing) after spending time on the build. One of the reasons I came back to modeling in November was because I wanted to get better at painting and weathering after seeing new techniques I wasn't familiar with on You Tube. Good luck with the remainder of the build. I am sure it will turn out fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Wow, some great progress David. All the details are looking fantastic, and using the Eduard masking set is absolutely worth it. It's going to be wonderful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Carl. For all my apparent emphasis on interior detail, the exterior surfacing and finish to me is the most important by a long way. I enjoy the interior, but my view is that I do it so that, hopefully, when the overall finish invites a closer look I am not embarrassed by what the viewer sees. That final finish obviously remains to be done on this project, and my current challenge is the seam/surface around the nose and the control surfaces.

Thanks, Ferry, buying the right resources matters. I wish will and intention were enough, but they aren't.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

This is shaping up as something really special - I am very excited after a few days away to see all the progress in the GB - it is going really well! Looking forward to seeing the next instalment! I have to say the figure painting is inspirational David - I may have to return to using 'humans' again - or at least jump on that learning curve! Thank you!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Paul. Figurine pairing may be one of the very few areas wherein my fine art training (now many moons ago) may have a hand. (Ironically, I did landscapes.) After early experimentation with acrylics and oils, I've determined that for me--whatever you use on the vehicle you're doing--enamels are the only way to go for figurines because they allow for blending (acrylic dries too fast and blends poorly at that minute level) and yet dry quickly enough for reasonable progress (unlike oils, which blend beautifully but are slow as Christmas in setting).

Predictably, I'm still not satisfied (especially with the facial features), but bit by bit I advance, and will be studying that more in the future. Truth be told, without a magnifier or a special camera lens I cannot see the quality of the faces that well anyway (aging eyes!), but it is important that others can appreciate it.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great!

• Profile Photo

OK, the operation--and indeed surgery--proceeds. Since any number of sub-assemblies are drying at present with a combination of hot glue, cyanoacrylate, and putty taking the time they necessarily must to do their work. I felt an update was in order.

I am replacing the stock surfaces with the Vector resin aftermarket kit. This has required some careful cutting and Dremel work on the vertical stabilizer/rudder, the ailerons, and the elevators.

Here's the work on the stabilizer/rudder, first in process, and next glued in place to indicate a yaw to port:

Here's the aileron work, with the port wing in process...

...and the starboard wing with a dry fit...

The horizontal stabilizer is here in process:

And here are my engine assemblies, previously shown, now in their cowlings and ready to glue into the wing assemblies:

That's it for the moment, lads. I appreciate the encouragement. I am working on a number of items at once but I am fast approaching critical mass and I believe I'll soon be at priming and painting stage.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Nice progress David keep going buddy, it's looking great

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

What a great update ! The engines look fantastic and the ignition wiring looks spot on...

This build looks stunning with the new resin control surfaces. You are right about the kit parts... the are a little lacking in the details. I really like how you saved the hinges and replicated the look of the original full sized Havoc.

Well done Sir !

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 6 years, 3 months ago:

David, the resin work looks fantastic. Will you be replacing the wheels and re processioning them? I've read that the main gears and wheels are several mm off. I believe they are too far forward. Keep up the good work the engine and rudder all of it is coming along.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis! Right now it is all about seams...soon I should be in position to attach the canopies then start spraying.

Stephen, I'm doing her wheels up so landing gear issues are moot this time around. I appreciate your comments and look forward to getting into the stretch here.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

David, the fits you are achieving look spot on - and I can't imagine that was very straightforward. However, the engines are just so eye-catching, I keep going back to look at them - brilliant work!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Paul, I'm glad that control surface work is basically behind me and construction on a whole is nearing its end. To handle the seams properly I've treated wing assemblies as models in themselves. More updates soon!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

OK, I'm back from LA LA Land, and I've been able to move for finalizing the assembly. I've had to work slowly and carefully due to both personal time restraints, the care with which I've had to deal with the various canopy issues, control surface surgeries, and seams around delicate areas.

Here the navigator/bombardier now sits in the nose

I've glued the optional aft cover in place with Krystal Klear as a function mask for the gunnery position, and will remove it after painting

Rear view of tail. Rudder is in placed, but I waited with the horizontal stabilizers due to their fragility; hinges for stabilizers were scratch built because originals were too small to keep.

Here we have the whole, with wings dry-fitted. Once I finish the cosmetic sanding around the nose canopy and glue on the wings, I'll be ready to paint.