U.S. Twelfth Air Force Douglas A-20B Havoc

Started by David A. Thomas · 71 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good David, I really like the additional detail you've added. After painting those additions should really make her pop.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I agree with Tom ! The hinges on the elevators and crew members are what grabbed my attention. It looks really nice. Looking forward to seeing it with some paint...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

As she stands now, primed and with the underside painted in neutral gray. Note that I've peeled away the masking on the upper side of the bombardier's nose canopy since that was field painted, almost certainly to protect the man from the punishing North Africa sun. Next comes the green upper surfaces, and the sand splotching which was hand-painted by the ground crews in the field.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I am liking what I'm seeing !

Now it reminds me of these...

Enjoy !

Eventually I plan on building the RAF Boston seen in the last photo. I found these original era WW2 color pictures on line a while ago. If you look close you can see the very minor differences between the color demarcation lines, since they were sprayed by hand...

Hope these help in some fashion...

• Profile Photo

They do help! The Brits used a different scheme than the USAAF--way prettier, to tell you the truth--but the details here are fantastic. I simply love this airplane.

• Profile Photo

I am closing in on the final stages of the A-20, and in doing so I am now grappling with a reality that is fairly evident in the photographic evidence. It seems pretty clear that the A-20s delivered to North Africa came in a monotone dark green upper paint scheme and a neutral gray underside, like this...

However, the A-20s that fought at Kasserine Pass and later were sand-splotched, like this...

The above photo, and several others, reveals that the planes were hand-painted with a tan over the dark green base in the field, that their handiwork was anything but neat and pretty (even interfering with the insignia at times), and followed no specific pattern.

This means that I needed to paint the aircraft and apply decals first, before applying the sand splotching scheme.

Here she is, ready for the final stage...

She looks glossy because I've added an overcoat to protect the decals from the masking that I will have to do. I cannot merely airbrush the splotches on, because the soft edge would not replicate the actual airplane's rough look that the period photos reveal. (Obviously, I cannot unmask my canopies yet.)

Wish me luck!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Do I see paint on the A-20! Hot damn you're making good progress David, keep going as I'm looking forward to seeing the sand blotches on here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Thomas. I'm having fun at this point. If the masks come off properly after that I'm nearly home free.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice! My suggestion would be to hand-paint the splotches - no masking required, and would probably look just as realistic as the actual. (but that's coming from me - I hand-paint everything!)

• Profile Photo

Too late! I'll be coming out with it pretty soon, Greg. I considered hand-painting, but I was afraid about the surface and accuracy to scale. Swirls would be find; unevenness would mess up the scale look. So I masked.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing the reveal!